Karyn's Birthday Dinner - Review May 18th
  Re: (...)
Per Karyn's instructions, here is the new Birthday Review Dinner menu from Issue #111 - Review date will be May 18th to give those of us who want to do both (or are moving ) a chance to participate! cjs
------------------
So, the new and improved menu is Greek Lettuce Wraps and, since we're being so healthy with the wraps, an optional dessert--Peach & Raspberry Bars with Oatmeal Crust. (Confession...I'll make the bars, try a small sample, and then take them in to work to share. It's way too close to swim season to pig out on dessert!!)

Here's the recipe for the wraps:

Greek Lettuce Wraps
Bright Mediterranean flavors spun into a marinade and a dressing.

Makes 6 servings (3/4 cup dressing)

For the marinade, whisk:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3 Tbs read wine vinegar
3 Tbs shredded onion
2 Tbs garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed and lightly scored

For the dressing, puree:
1/4 cup packed sliced fresh mint
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbs crumbled feta cheese
Bibb lettuce leaves
Sliced cucumber
Halved grape tomatoes
crumbled feta cheese

For the marinade, whisk together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, onion, garlic, oregano, 1 tsp salt, and pepper. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into Ziploc bag and add steak; marinate 2 hours. Reserve remaining 1/2 cup marinade for the dressing. Remove bag from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling, then remove steak from marinade and season with salt.

For the dressing, puree remaining 1/2 cup marinade, mint, yogurt, and 2 Tbs feta in a mini food processor; chill.

Preheat grill to high. Brush grill grate with oil.

Grill steak to medium-rare, 4-6 minutes per side; transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain then slice into bite-sized pieces.

Assemble lettuce wraps by topping two lettuce leaves with steak, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, and a drizzle of dressing.

And here's the recipe for the dessert:

Peach and Raspberry Bars with Oatmeal Crust

for the crust, combine:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
10 Tbs cold, unsalted butter, cubed

For the filling, whisk:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp minced orange zest
1 cup granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 egg

For the topping, stir:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 Tbs fresh orange juice
1 pound frozen peaches, thawed
6 ounces fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 375. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray. Line pan with a 2-inch overhang of parchment paper; coat parchment with spray.

For the crust, combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Cut cold butter into flour mixture until pea-sized; reserve 3/4 cup crust mixture.

Press remaining crust mixture into prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.

For the filling, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, zest, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together 1 cup granulated sugar, melted butter, and egg; stir into flour mixture and pat over crust.

For the topping, stir together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange juice; gently stir in peaches and raspberries. Pour fruit mixture over filling and sprinkle with reserved 3/4 cup crust.

Bake bars until center is set, 45-50 minutes. Cool, then cut into 12 bars and serve with ice cream.

---------
And, for those so inclined here is Karyn's original idea for her dinner - some of us may want to make both.
---------------
Karyn:
I finally got my new copy of [Email]C@H[/Email], and after looking through it, I decided that the Pickled-Brined Pork CHops with Mustard Grits sounded like something I'd never tried, so it should be interesting.

If it sounds good to everyone, we can make the date either Monday, May 11 (the day after Mother's Day) or a week later, Monday May 18. Let me know what you think!

Here are the recipes:

Pickle-Brined Pork Chops
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 30 minutes + brining

For the pork, submerge
2 center-cut, bone-in pork chops (7-8 ounces each)
Liquid from 1 jar (16 ounces) kosher dill pickles

For the relish, grill:
1 bulb garlic, wrapped in foil
1 Anaheim chile
1 slice red onion (1/4 inch thick)

Whisk:
1 Tbs prepared yellow mustard
1 1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp chopped fresh dill
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
salt and pepper to taste

For the pork submerge chops in liquid from pickle jar in a large bowl, cover and chill, turning occasionally, for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat grill to medium high. Brush grill grates with oil.

For the relish, grill garlic until soft, 15-20 minutes; remove from grill and let cool. When cool enough to handle, unwrap foil and squeeze garlic from cloves; mince 1 Tbs and reserve for relish.

Grill chile, covered, until charred on all sides, 5-7 minutes. Transfer chile to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam 5 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop. Grill onion, covered, until softtened, 3-5 minutes per side, chop.

Whisk together reserved 1 Tbs garlic, mustard, honey, and dill. stir in tomatoes, chile, and onion; season with salt and pepper.

Remove chops from liquid and pat dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.

Grill chops until an instant-read thermometer inserted near but not touching the bone reads 145 degrees, 3-4 minutes per side.

Serve chops with relish.

Mustard Grits with Dill Pickles
Makes 2 servings (1 1/2 cups)
Total time: about 40 minutes

Heat:
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup apple juice or cider
1/4 cup yellow grits

Stir in:
1/4 cup diced kosher dill pickle
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 Tbs prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbs chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

Heat broth and appl juice in a saucepan to a boil; whisk in grits in a steady stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium low and cook grits according to package directions.

Stir in pickles, goat cheese, mustard, and dill, season with salt and pepper.
  Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner - Review May 18th by karyn (Per Karyn's instruct...)
Oh good - I missed the last one. I'm in for this diner. My only caveat is that I'm not a dill pickle person so I'll have to sub for them. I know it will completely screw up the written recipe, but.... (Think I'll have to go with B&B)

Thanks Karyn for choosing a dinner! And, the 11th sounds good to me. I'll wait to hear from other on the date before I edit the title, o.k.??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by cjs (Oh good - I missed t...)
Sounds perfect, Jean! Thanks.
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by karyn (Sounds perfect, Jean...)
Oh Karyn, I'm sorry but have to pass on this one. Ron doesn't like dill pickles or grits.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by Mare749 (Oh Karyn, I'm sorry ...)
Okay, I think we're going to have to consider the dill pickles and grits a fail...anyone interested in changing to the Summer Straw and Hay Pasta or Greek Lettuce Wraps?
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by karyn (Okay, I think we're ...)
I'm for anything you feel comfortable with, Karyn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by cjs (I'm for anything you...)
Karyn, I would love to do either one of those and would be happy to type the recipes for you if you decide to change.
Maryann

Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by Mare749 (Karyn, I would love ...)
The pickle chops sounded interesting, but I'm still game for whatever you pick Karyn.
  Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by losblanos1 (The pickle chops sou...)
Karyn, I hope it's not too late to post this. Ron said we should try the pickled pork chops. Sure surprised me! Not sure if he will eat much of the grits, but that's okay because I like them. So, if you want to keep the original dinner plan, I will participate.
Maryann

Re: Re: Karyn's Birthday Dinner by losblanos1 (The pickle chops sou...)
Post deleted by cjs