AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2
  Re: (...)
Ch-ch-ch changes! The transition to the new management is progressing. Bob and I got raises! Yea!!!! We are terribly short staffed - but limping along . . . the new Kitchen "manager" is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! 35 years in food service, creative, fun, bitchy (we get along great), and a great cook. She ticked off the food service guy - told him she made her sausage gravy from scratch. Nope, didn't need frozen biscuits - she makes them from scratch. Ken and Berta & I are working together on the menu and he's really giving us a lot of leeway. (No more foil wrapped "baked" potatoes - smashed red skins now for banquet service. Cut the cost by 3/4! Now we're just waiting for the liquor license. Losing $$$$ every day we can't sell beer at least.

We've got another cook and two waitresses. The other cook is kind of a mess, doesn't like taking instructions from women (Sicilian) and his wife has never waited tables and knows everything - but they are trying. We just hired a new gal Sunday - she's GREAT. We just aren't getting any applicants.

I'm doing the back office for the Pro Shop and the Restaurant. Lots of extra hours. We have a new guy in the Pro Shop who is really good - no experience in a Pro Shop but he's an amazingly quick learner. He's taking a big load off of me - no more 11 hour days!

We're still missing Chad - but things are getting really good, lots of improvements and positive changes! The course is looking better than ever!

I'm back to 5 days a week - but I have weekends off until 3pm so I can go to the Farmer's market and have some time with Bob.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by Harborwitch (Ch-ch-ch changes! T...)
As I was reading this, the image that came to mind was of Fawlty Towers. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by labradors (As I was reading thi...)
Sounds like things are coming together really well for you and Bob, Sharon!! That's great.

We'll probably see you sometime early fall when things slow down around here a little.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by cjs (Sounds like things a...)
Sounds exciting, Sharon! Fill us in when you can!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds exciting, Sha...)
So glad it's all working out, Sharon. The new owner is lucky to have you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by Harborwitch (Ch-ch-ch changes! T...)
Yay Sharon!!!
PJ
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by pjcooks (Yay Sharon!!!...)
Yeah Sharon!! Sounds like you're ready to rock!!
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by karyn (Yeah Sharon!! Sounds...)
That is so awesome!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by luvnit (That is so awesome!...)
Bob and I are on the road heading home after a run to Oregon for "adult beverages", then Costco (wanted to get the grill top pizza oven - but they were gone! ), and then to Cash & Carry. Had to get a bunch of stuff for the restaurant and a few things for us. So I've got some time.

The restaurant is now open 7 days a week! We have a weekend cook & waitress that texted Berta yesterday to say that Sunday would be their last day. We weren't surprised . . . but some more notice would have been nice. There's no way 2 people can possibly keep it open 7 days a week. We just can't find anyone . . . no one wants to work? . . . and we finally got our liquor license so the bar is open. YEA!

I'm still putting in a lot of extra time and Ken is ragging me about overtime - meanwhile he works about 4-6 hours a day Monday through Thursday and plays golf Saturday & Sunday and then goes home. I'm beginning to wonder about him. There've been a few things that disturb me. It's a rare night that I'm home before 8.

Tonya & her husband are here for a week. It is good to see her and she's going to help Berta and I with some training (for Berta) and some back office food costing & inventory stuff.

After the last 4 years of Chad "running" the kitchen it is really nice to have Berta! She pissed off the food service guy - he was trying to sell her powdered sausage gravy and frozen biscuits - she does it all from scratch! She and I are working really well together on coming up with menu ideas, specials, and browbeating Ken into letting us have our way.

Cooking is becomming a thing of the past. I hate that part. I did get a duck today (frozen) that I am looking forward to playing with. I miss you all, and can't wait for fall - we're looking forward to seeing you and Roy Jean. Well . . . we're getting close to home so I'll stop boring you all. Hopefully I can squeeze some time in here more often.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: AWOL - or I Love My Life Part 2 by Harborwitch (Bob and I are on the...)
That's too bad the bloom is off the rose a tad with the new management, but maybe all will settle in... good luck.

Probably will be fall at least before we head to your area...to much going on around here settling in for us, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com