online classes for bread
  Re: (...)
Found a bread making series on craftsy by Peter Reinhart.

The first few videos are just intro and basics, but then he gets into the actual bread making and explains the purpose for the methods he uses.

One of his "newer" methods involves kneading the bread dough right on a clean countertop using a little bit of water and/or oil instead of flour. Too much flour will make the bread too dense and heavy. He seems to favor more hydration which can be hard to work with. Can't wait to try this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: online classes for bread by Mare749 (Found a bread making...)
Wow! Can't imagine doing that. Something that has to be tried tho. Let us know if you get to it first!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: online classes for bread by cjs (Wow! Can't imagine d...)
Wow, indeed! Makes sense, though. Let us know!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: online classes for bread by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, indeed! Makes ...)
Don't forget the bread section over at Stella Culinary. For that matter, check out the rest of the site, too. Jacob has a LOT of good information and is VERY good about answering questions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: online classes for bread by labradors (Don't forget the bre...)
Thanks Labs. I'll check it out.
Maryann

Re: Re: online classes for bread by Mare749 (Thanks Labs. I'll ch...)
I have Reinhart's bread book, though I've not baked from it in years. I've been making a different bread recipe from the KAF site, every 10 days or so, since I got my 7t. KA, some sourdough, most not.

I weigh everything into the KA bowl taring as needed. (Had to get a new scale, my old one does not go high enough). After I knead my bread in the KA, I put it in one of my rising Cambros (have 3 sizes use the 4qt. the most), which I've oiled with either olive oil, or grapeseed depending on the recipe. I dump it, roll it around to coat and then take it out and use either the counter, or the lid of the cambro to give the bread a few turns to roll into a ball. If the amount is large, (i.e. not enough of the counter top is clean enough), I might use a sheet pan size piece of parchment. I've never liked using flour. When I did the no-knead, I used a bit of rice flower instead of ap. just to keep it from sticking after the first rise. I also oil my hands, not flour to do envelope folds. Never knew how I learned this, but it must have been PR.

I'm out of commission for another week until the stitches in my hand are removed, but going to try CC's Hawaiian Rolls (did KAF's) and a French baguette next, still debating weather to spring for a baguette pan. A lot of the KAF recipes have a blog which shows step by step how stuff should look at each stage. Have found it very useful.
  Re: Re: online classes for bread by Cubangirl (I have Reinhart's br...)
I love KAF's website. So much great info!

Thought I should edit my original post just a bit. After watching more of PR's videos, I realized that he doesn't actually knead the bread dough. He does a series of "stretch and folds" on the oiled counter top. By not weighing down the dough with more flour, the baked bread has a better "oven spring" and larger holes, so it's less dense.
Maryann