Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

I'm smoking ribs and testing a Greek salad that I want to take to a party next weekend. Plus, I have some bananas getting old and I might even make a banana pie - been years since I've had one. I'm only hesitating because I haven't unpacked the 1/2-pie plate so will have a whole pie in the house.

speaking of smoking - has anyone used maple?? I've had some chips from Roy for a number of years and they were the only ones I've unpacked so far so decided to use them. I could not get them to smoke!! I finally had to give up and picked up some apple and cherry at the store to use today instead. Can't figure out the problem with the other.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We are having baby back ribs and corn on the cob.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by Trixxee (We are having baby b...)
Still trying to jerry-rig this darn smoking on a grill rather than my smoker....so far, no smoke!!

This day took me right back to the 80s - Roy mowing the 'west forty' and me cookin'! We feel so at home here.

[Image: May%2016%20-%20ride%20on%20mower_zpstsrl6oyp.jpg]

[Image: May%2017%20Greek%20Pasta%20Salad_zpssprvav1c.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by Trixxee (We are having baby b...)
We have a match!

From the new issue I'm making Slow Cooked Baby Back Ribs w/ Root Beer-Chipotle BBQ Sauce, CA is making the Skillet Cornbread.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by losblanos1 (We have a match! [im...)
Definitely seems to be a theme here. We're just using a combo of Sweet Baby Ray's and a sriacha/roasted garlic bbq sauce from Trader Joe's. Will have to check out that root beer recipe Blane.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by Trixxee (Definitely seems to ...)
Not sure if this will help, Jean. This is how Ron "smokes" on the grill.

He gets a good pile of hardwood charcoal nice and hot, but only on one side of the grill. When it's ready, he sprinkles the charcoal with some soaked wood chips. Also, he opens the vents so that the heat and smoke go through the grill. Then, he puts the meat on the "cool" side of the grill. You can replenish your chips according to how much smoke you like. We prefer a lighter smoke. The only time he uses the big smoker any more is for large cuts of meat.

One last note. He always uses one of those charcoal chimney things to heat up the charcoal since it really cuts down on the waiting time. If he's going to be cooking more than an hour, then he starts a second chimney to have ready.

Not cooking again! We're going over to Holly's to help them use up food l/o from a party that they had last night.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by Mare749 (Not sure if this wil...)
Just made a batch of the Mushroom and Bacon Breakfast Muffins for the first time since moving back to the States.

Made them for breakfast tomorrow (and later), but my mom had to try one right now and she loved it.

I tasted a bit of the one that I gave to her and it was just as "Wow!" as I remember.

This time, I used regular muffin tins, instead of the Texas ones, so they'll go a long way.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by labradors (Just made a batch of...)
We ordered Italian Subs from this local Pizza Place that we ordered from last time. The bread is PERFECT! It's loaded with meat and a steal for $7.50!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (We ordered Italian S...)
well, after a disappointing day of trying to smoke my ribs - it's not the method that is lacking....something is wrong with my grill. I'm just broken hearted if it doesn't live up to what I've been experiencing with it. We'll see.

Didn't have ribs (which by the way turned out wonderful - which I was afraid of ) and dinner until 2:45. SO, late 'snack' will be banana cream pie.....oh sigh.

[Image: May%2017%20Banana%20Cream%20PIe_zpsdghmipx1.jpg]

Rough life -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/17/15?? by cjs (well, after a disapp...)
Oh my gosh that pie looks awesome! I have to make a banana cream pie and soooon!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura