Need an "easy" side
  Re: (...)
My brother and his family (total 6 people) will be visiting this weekend and I've been told not to "go crazy making meals". Little do they know...

Anyway, the evening that they arrive, I have planned a marinated pork roast and roasted potatoes. The pork is marinated in olive oil, garlic, honey-dijon, and soy sauce then roasted. Now I need a vegetable side... any suggestions? I was going to steam green beans, but maybe something a little more special?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Need an "easy" side by foodfiend (My brother and his f...)
Why not blanch the green beans and roast them with garlic or asparagus if you want to make it a little more classy? The Brussels sprouts with that walnut sauce others liked years ago? Holandaise over steamed asparagus? Broccoli Salad? The one with bacon made a day or two ahead? I have a Bok Choy stir fry recipe that is really good, if you're interested? Simple stir fry?

Sorry, all I got for now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by Gourmet_Mom (Why not blanch the g...)
Daphne just covered everything I was thinking of. Happy 4th!🎇🎆😎
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by Old Bay (Daphne just covered ...)
The fresh corn polenta is sure a nice side dish.

• Dress up a side dish of diced tomatoes and corn with 1/2 cup marinara sauce and 1/4 cup taco sauce – thickens and flavors nicely.

Rouxfy’s Leek and Ginger Slaw

The slaw is wonderful added to a serving of grilled tuna that has been rubbed with a paste of orange juice, wasabi powder and a touch of sesame oil. Thanks, Chef Ruth!

3 large leeks, cleaned, split in half and shredded finely on the diagonal
1 large knob fresh ginger, grated
Approx. 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
Approx. 2 T. sugar

Combine the leeks, ginger, vinegar and sugar, adjusting amounts of the vinegar and sugar to taste. Toss well to dissolve the sugar and coat the leeks. Toss occasionally while chilling, Refrigerate overnight or at least several hours.

Grilled pineapple

SUSAN’S SLICED TOMATOES with PESTO VINAIGRETTE

Long time friend, Susan Schwasnick, brought this side dish to a summer BBQ years ago and it immediately became a family favorite. I do like to garnish with fresh basil when it’s available.

3 ripe tomatoes, sliced to 1/2" thickness
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
4 T. pesto, see Pantry
1 clove garlic, minced
Parsley for garnish

Arrange the tomatoes on a serving platter. Combine the vinegar, oil, pesto and garlic and mix well. Drizzle dressing sparingly over the sliced tomatoes and chill for at least 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the parsley or basil. Makes __ portions.

Mozzarella and Tomatoes with Walnut Pesto

An old friend introduced me to this salad which is a tasty version of a Tomato Caprese salad.

Walnut Pesto: 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
3 cups fresh basil 1/2 cup olive oil (a little more if needed for consistency)
4 cloves garlic 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Wash and pat dry the basil. In a food processor, process basil, garlic and walnuts gradually adding the olive oil. Add the parmesan and process until just mixed together.

For the salad:
1 lb. fresh mozzarella 1 lb. summer ripened tomatoes 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Slice the cheese and tomatoes and arrange on a plate, alternating slices. With a spoon, drizzle a little of the pesto over the tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle with pine nuts and maybe a little more grated Parmesan.

Roasted Beets and Garlic

----------

Geez, sorry - got carried away it's been so long since anyone asked for an idea.....................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by cjs (The fresh corn polen...)
You could also do a vegetable salad. John and I love this Summer Bean Confetti Salad with pickled onions, which might work really well with the pork. It actually is easy, and can be prepped ahead and then tossed right before you serve it.

Summer Bean Confetti Salad with Pickled Red Onion Vinaigrette

Recipe By : Adapted from Fine Cooking 99, pp. 43
Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 lb beans, assorted sizes and varieties,
-- trimmed and cut into 1- to 2-inch lengths
-- (3 cups)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper

1. In a small, non-reactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and 1 tsp.
salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the onion,
return to a boil, and immediately pour the mixture into a nonreactive bowl
to cool, about 15 minutes. Drain the onion and reserve the vinegar.

2. Toss the onion with the beans. Combine 2 Tbs. of the vinegar, olive oil,
Dijon mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Lightly dress the beans. Add the
basil and pine nuts (if using), and toss again. Add more of the vinegar if
you’d like a little more tang.
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by karyn (You could also do a ...)
This isn't a vegetable side, but my family loves apples with pork. So, we always have applesauce with it or sometimes I make a baked apple casserole for a side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by Mare749 (This isn't a vegetab...)
Oh that's copied, Karyn!! Sounds very good.

Apples - yes!

Cranberry Apple Salsa- a Chef's Journey recipe *****

I needed a chutney, salsa or relish for a New Year's charcuterie platter and as I grabbed ingredients from the pantry and fridge, this winner of a salsa came together and is delicious Dec. 31, 2014

1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup died apple
2 green onions, minced
3/4 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustasrd
3 tsp candied jalapeno
or
2 tsp. minced jalapeno plus 1/2 tsp. honey
pinch of salt
2 Tbs chopped roasted pecans

1. Combine all the ingredients and taste for degree of heat you like – adding more jalapeno if necessary. Chill for a couple of hours to meld the flavors.

----------

an apple slaw

too many ideas!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by cjs (Oh that's copied, Ka...)
I could swear that I responded to this days ago... Anyway, I ended up roasting the green beans. Honestly, anything "fancier" than that would've been met with suspicion. But I got some good sides for other occasions from your responses-- thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Need an "easy" side by foodfiend (I could swear that I...)
www.achefsjourney.com