Tortilla Turkey soup
  Re: (...)
Has anybody made it yet?
  Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by piano226 (Has anybody made it ...)
Nope, not yet! If you make it, let us know!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by piano226 (Has anybody made it ...)
Well it is dinner for tonight...i was just hoping somebody made it and told me how it was. I made the butternut squash tortilla soup...that was really really good. I will let you all know.
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by Bizymomma (Nope, not yet! If yo...)
Interesting you should bring this up. We saw the movie Tortilla Soup last week on our local satellite tv movie of the night---it was interesting from the cooking perspective--I wonder whose hands were used for the actual cooking??

Anyway--I was going through some recipes last evening for possible leftover turkey uses and ran across TURKEY Tortilla Soup---DH is not a big soup fan but I showed him the title and we had a real chuckle.

Please let us know how it was and what, if any, changes you would make. I think I just might try anyway with the leftover bits and pieces I have---HMMM.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by Roxanne 21 (Interesting you shou...)
Oh, the cooking in that movie was amazing! I tracked down the recipes from the movie, but haven't made them yet. My son and I were dying watching all that beautiful food. We plan to make all the stuff from the movie and then watch it while eating.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by TwilightKitten (Oh, the cooking in t...)
Twilight, would you be able to post those recipes? I loved that movie (specially when the chair broke) and I'd love to have the recipes.
Cynthia
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by farnfam (Twilight, would you ...)
No problem...

Tortilla Soup
(from Dallas Morning News, Aug. 15, 2001, interview with Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken)
As Orlando said, "my mother's tortilla soup sure didn't taste like this."
5 garlic cloves peeled
10 Roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 cups chicken stock
1 dried chipolte chili, stemmed and seeded
3/4 pound tortilla chips 1 bunch (1/2 cup) cilantro leaves
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 cup crema (available in Mexican markets
or make your own with recipe below)
2 limes cut in wedges
Place the garlic and tomatoes in blender until smooth. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until pale brown and caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
Pour in the chicken stock and add the chipolte chili. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in the tortilla chips and cook 10 minutes longer until the chips soften. Remove and discard the chili.
Serve hot with cilantro, avocado, crema, lime wedges and some extra crisp fried tortilla chips for adding at the table. Makes 10 servings
Crema: Whisk 2 cups heavy cream and 1/4 cup buttermilk together. Cover and set in a warm place (a gas oven with just the heat from the pilot light is fine) for 8 hours. Crema may be kept in the refrigerator for as long as a week.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by TwilightKitten (No problem... [img]/...)
Btw, these are all cut and pasted from whatever source I got them from...I don't remember where that was though.

Ensalada de Nopalitos
In the first scene in the movie, Martin cuts his own cactus paddles.
1 1/2 pound fresh or prepared cactus paddles, needles removed
(available at Mexican food stores)
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 roma tomatoes
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 to 2 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
2 or 3 bunches cilantro,leaves only, chopped
1/2 cup finely grated anejo or parmesan cheese
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
This is how Martin did it in the movie. Preheat the grill or broiler. Place the cactus paddles in a bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Grill or broil the paddles, turning once until grill marks appear or they turn dark green with black patches. 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.
Cut the cactus into 1/2 inch pieces. In a large bowl, combine the cactus, tomatoes, onion, chilies, cilantro and cheese. Add the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, the vinegar and salt and pepper. Mix well. Serve on a place lined with romaine leaves.
Serves 10

Capirotada (Mexican Bread Pudding
(from Dallas Morning News, Aug. 15, 2001, interview with Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken)
Martin saves the day with this recipe which he calls "Belle Melange"
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 load French bread or baguette, with crust, cut into small cubes
1 pound brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup walnuts chopped
1/2 pound cream cheese, chilled and chopped
Crema (recipe follows) or heavy cream for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 13x 9 inch glass casserole dish.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly. Spread the cubes on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp. Remove the bread and turn the oven temperature up to 400 F.
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples, walnuts, cream cheese and toasted bread cubes. Drizzle with the sugar syrup and mix to evenly distribute. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan.
Bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Then bake an additional 5 minutes without stirring, until the top is golden brown and crusty and the liquid is almost gone.
Serve warm with pitchers of crema or heavy cream for adding at the table. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Crema: Wish 2 cups heavy cream and 1/2 cup buttermilk together. Cover and set in a warm place (a gas oven with just the heat from the pilot light if fine) for 8 hours. Crema may be kept in the refrigerator as long as a week.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by TwilightKitten (Btw, these are all c...)
Panchuos
(Yucatan stuffed tortillas)
This is another goodie that Martin makes for April. I have made these before. I serve them with a salad made for garnish, of shredded lettuce, diced tomato and sliced radishes seasoned with a rice wine vinegar and salt. And cold bottles of Negra Modelo beer. Bueno, Bueno!
Make 12 tortillas
2 cups masa harina
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup refried black beans
12 Hard boiled egg slices
Shredded roast chicken
Shredded lettuce
Fresh salsa
Fresh avocado, sliced
Oil for frying
Combine the masa harina, water and salt in mixing bowl. Stir until smooth. The dough should be sticky and form a ball when pressed together. Form a ball with your hand and press down. If the edges crack, add more water to the dough, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough no longer cracks.
Made tortillas about 4 inches round and a little thicker than normal. Cook tortillas on dry griddle or heavy cast iron skillet over medium high heat, cooking about 30-45 seconds on each side, press the tip of each tortilla with your fingertips to make it puff. Place the hot tortillas on a towel to cool.
When cool enough to handle, pick up each puffed tortilla and cut a 1 1/2 inch slit about 1/4 inch from the edge to make a pocket, being careful not to cut all the way through the tortilla. Stuff about about 1 tablespoon of the refried beans in the pocket. Stick a egg slice in the pocket too, covering with the beans. Flatten to seal and distribute the beans evenly. Place tortillas on plate and cover with barely damp cloth to keep from drying out.
Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Fry the tortillas in the oil, two or three at a time, until they a little crisp, but still pliable. Add more oil as needed while frying. Drain on paper towels and keep in warm in 200F oven.
Heat the chicken in a small pan over low heat.
Remove the Panuchos from the oven and top each with a scant tablespoon of salsa. Sprinkle on the chicken and lettuce and top with a avocado slice.
If you can get thick store bought tortillas, you can re-heat them on a hot griddle to puff them. If you cannot make them puff, fry the tortillas and spread the black beans and egg slices on after frying.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Tortilla Turkey soup by TwilightKitten (Panchuos[br](Yucatan...)
Cherry Tomatoes Stuffed with Guacamole
Martin makes these for April's Lunch
24 ripe cherry tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large ripe avocado
fresh lime juice
Small coin sized corn chips

Slice tops off cherry tomatoes and scoop out insides. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pulp and discard the rest.
With a fork, mash clove of garlic with the salt to make paste. Mash the ripe avocado until smooth. Add the garlic mixture. Add the tomato pulp to the mashed avocado. Add a little lime juice.
Stuff the cherry tomatoes with this mixture. These can be chilled for a hour or so. When ready to serve, stick a corn chip in the guacamole in each tomato.

Squash Blossom Soup
Served at the first dinner in the movie
1/4 stick butter
1 onions, sliced
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound blossoms, Zucchini or other squash (about 4 cups)
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup grated anejo cheese
1 lime cut in wedges
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Saute the onions, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook about five minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes add the blossoms and cook 5 minutes longer.
Transfer soup to food processor and puree until smooth. Strain soup back into saucepan. Pour in the half and half and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot, garnished with the cheese and lime wedges.

Porcupine Cookies
Martin makes these for April's lunch
1 cup pecan halves
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
7 ounces canned sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 325 F
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a non-stick spray.
Toss the pecans in the melted butter to evenly coat. Spread on the an ungreased baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and aromatic. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
Add the chopped pecans and the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir until moistened.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter for each cookie onto the parchment lined cookie sheet and gently flatten to circles of about 2 1/4 inches. (Martin's version is smaller)
Bake 10 minutes or until the coconut turns very pale golden, being careful not to over brown. Transfer to racks to cool.
Makes 36 to 40 cookies
Tammy