Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107
  Re: (...)
We really enjoy this dressing from Daphne - Pine Nut Dressing. So chocked full of toasted pine nuts how could anyone not love it. I have enough for another salad so I will make a much simpler one tomorrow – mine kind of overpowered the dressing. Which I think is the star of the salad. I’ll make notes this time…..

[Image: JUn%2030%20Salad%20w%20Daphnes%20Pine%20...ogcwmm.jpg]

Oh Maryann – I could get in so much trouble with this dish. It’s almost like eating a Butternut Sq. Carbonara; it is just wonderful. Had to move it off the table I kept picking at it! Had to make a couple changes because of what I had on hand, but the subs didn’t change the basic flavor I don’t think. (Used dry Sherry for the Marsala – Marsala makes dishes a little too sweet for me – and no hazelnuts, so used toasted mixed chopped nuts)

[Image: Jun%2030%20B.Nut%20Sq.%20Fefftuccine_zpsqul0jx4a.jpg]

Both of us gave it a 10! And, I have leftovers – enough for 2 more dinners and one, I’m going a la Jacques Pepin. Heat up and top with a sunny-side up egg, sprinkled with Parm. This is a repeat for sure. One hint - add lots of freshly cracked Black pepper - wow, it's good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by cjs (We really enjoy this...)
Jean, would this satisfy my love for the alBurro recipe that we love and don't get to make very often? Just reading the name of this recipe makes me crave the al Burro! And yes, the dressing is the star of the salad. I just use baby spinach.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, would this sat...)
You know that's a great idea!! Yes, it certainly did fill that craving for a luscious pasta dish!!! The nutrition in the mag. says 474 cal; 21g fat; 34 mg. chol...............not good, but better than al Burro.

Instead of sliced prosciutto, months ago I bought a pkg. of diced ends of prosciutto and used the last of it for this dish and it does have less fat in it. (At least I'm telling myself it does! )

Maryann served hers with a spicy sausage and while I think that would be very good, I think I like the simplicity of just a lot of freshly ground black pepper - jazzed it up nicely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by cjs (You know that's a gr...)
Jean, that looks delicious and time for me to make it again! Thanks for bringing it up. We really loved that dish. Lots of cracked black pepper---yes!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by Mare749 (Jean, that looks del...)
Speaking of fat, there seems to be a very interesting trend about "fat" in our diets. Fat is not making us fat. In fact, some are saying that you should be ingesting 30% of your daily calories in healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc). What is killing us are the bad carbs. But I will never give up my pasta once every couple of weeks.
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by Trixxee (Speaking of fat, the...)
Me, either!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by cjs (Me, either!...)
Sadly, I need my pasta more often than that.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by Gourmet_Mom (Sadly, I need my pas...)
The 'trends' seem to swing around between all the nutrition 'no-nos' year by year! As Julia would say.............
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by cjs (The 'trends' seem to...)
I'd love the recipe - but haven't renewed my subscription. Barilla makes an excellent gluten free pasta so I am a happy camper.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Buternut Squash Fettuccine, Issure #107 by Harborwitch (I'd love the recipe ...)
Here you go Sharon.

Butternut Squash Fettuccine

with frizzled prosciutto

For fall fare at its finest, Marsala adds warm, smoky flavor, toasted hazelnuts give crunch and nuttiness, and frizzled prosciutto lends saltiness.

Makes 6 servings (about 8 cups) Total time: 45 minutes +

roasting & cooling

LIGHTLY COAT:

1 butternut squash (about 2 lb.), halved lengthwise and seeded

Olive oil

COOK:

12 oz. dry fettuccine pasta

2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided

3 oz. prosciutto, sliced into strips

1/2 cup minced shallots

1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic

1/4 cup dry Marsala

STIR IN:

1/2 cup each heavy cream and low-sodium chicken broth

Salt and black pepper to taste

1/2 cup toasted, skinned, and chopped hazelnuts

3 Tbsp. thinly sliced fresh sage Grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400°. Line
a baking sheet with foil.
Lightly coat squash halves with oil on both sides. Place squash, flesh side down, on prepared baking sheet. Add 1 cup water to baking sheet. Bake squash until tender, about 45 minutes; let cool.
Scoop flesh from squash and purée; discard skin. (You can prepare squash to this point, then cover and chill.)
Cook fettuccine in a large pot
of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain and reserve 1 cup pasta water.

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a sauté pan
over medium-high, add prosciutto, and cook until crisp; transfer to
a paper-towel-lined plate.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same pan; add shallots and cook until soft, 2–3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Deglaze pan with Marsala; cook until it nearly evaporates.
Stir in two cups squash purée, cream, broth, and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water; season with salt and pepper. Stir in pasta and add more pasta water until desired sauce consistency is reached.
Off heat, toss pasta with hazelnuts, sage, and prosciutto. Garnish each serving with Parmesan.

Per serving: 474 cal; 21g total fat (6g sat); 39mg chol; 400mg sodium; 60g carb; 6g fiber; 15g protein
Daphne