Weird Day of Cooking
  Re: (...)
This has been a day of trying the damndest recipes. The other day sitting, sitting, sitting in a waiting room, I had plenty of time to peruse magazine after magazine. One that I looked thru was a Rachael Ray mag. Had never looked at one, I don’t think. Anyway, she had some off the wall ideas that I copied down and today was a play day.

So here are the reviews –

#1Asian Turkey Sheet Loaf
I have no idea what this ‘loaf’ is supposed to be - a patty for a sandwich, the base of a plated dinner, just a slat of meat product on the plate????? I made 1/2 the recipe and spread it in a small baking sheet. Followed the recipe exactly – even topping it with 1/2 the called for amount of hoisin. Baked exactly 12 minutes and it was nicely done.

I cut in quarters and served as a ‘patty’. The flavor? Really quite tasty, but the hoisin overpowered all the flavors. If I make it again – and I probably will because the basic idea is good and I can think of a lot of uses for it. But, I’ll barely brush the top with hoisin and have just a hint of that flavor.

Spread in the baking sheet
[Image: Jul%203%20Asian%20Turkey%20Sheet%20Loaf%...pk8prm.jpg]

Smothered in Hoisin sauce – ready to bake
[Image: Jul%203%20Asian%20Turkey%20Sheet%20Loaf%...sapcao.jpg]

Ready to serve – topped with sliced green onions
[Image: Jul%203%20Asian%20Turkey%20Street%20Loaf...emtstg.jpg]

#2 Scarlet Slaw – this is another I saw in the Rachael Ray mag.
First of all, I made the dressing to set aside for later – first mistake. Man, the dressing had just coagulated completely submerged in a layer of olive oil by the time I wanted to use it. Stirred it up and used it anyway and must say the flavor was great. And, the idea of added shredded roasted beets is one of the best ideas for slaw in a long time. I sure will do this again. Mine is pretty ugly because I only had Chinese cabbage, not red cabbage

[Image: Jul%203%20Scarlet%20Slaw_zpsfstm6fiy.jpg]

So, here is our convoluted dinner plate today – Roy’s favorite tomatoes added.
[Image: Jul%203%20Weird%20Dinner_zpszqynawhx.jpg]

All in all, some good ideas to work on.

I also made an old catering favorite for the party tomorrow B.B. Wraps – haven’t done them for the longest time. Had enough filling for one for us to share later.

Here are the recipes if anyone is interested after this review….

Asian Turkey Sheet Loaf

1/4 cup chicken stock
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
1 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 Tbs minced ginger
6 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup hoisin

Whisk stock and cornstarch.
Stir in next 4 ingredients and three-quarters of the scallions; season.
Press into 9-by-13-inch pan; brush with hoisin.
Bake at 425 degrees until cooked through, 12 minutes.
Top with remaining scallions.

Yield: Makes: 4 servings
Source: Rachael Ray magazine

--------------------
Scarlet Slaw

3 Tbs EVOO
3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs raspberry jam
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 cups shredded red cabbage
2 small beets, peeled and grated
2 Tbs thinly sliced basil

1. In bowl, whisk EVOO, vinegar, jam and mustard until smooth. Toss with cabbage and beets; season. Let stand 10 minutes. Toss again and sprinkle with basil before serving.

Yield: Makes: 6 servings
Source – Rachel Ray magazine
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Weird Day of Cooking by cjs (This has been a day ...)
Both recipes do sound good. But what is a B. B. Wrap?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by Gourmet_Mom (Both recipes do soun...)
Black bean.but, I used pinto....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by cjs (Black bean.but, I us...)
Both recipes do sound good, but I don't think I would serve them together since they are both sweet, but that's just me.

The turkey dish reminds me of an Asian turkey burger and we would like it with hoisin, but like you, I would just glaze the top a bit. Without the hoisin, it might be good to put both the turkey and the cabbage on a roll.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by Mare749 (Both recipes do soun...)
The whole thing didn't go together But, I was just playing around with dishes. I agree - without the hoisin, lots to do with that silly turkey thing.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by cjs (The whole thing didn...)
I love the idea of the beets in the slaw. I used to buy julienned beets and added them to most of my salads, but can no longer find them, so we buy the vacuumed ones from TJ's. Ironically, Steve grows beets for the greens for his green drink, but I've never dared take one out to cook. I would not use raspberry jam though; I'd use Penzey's Raspberry Enlightenment or homemade raspberry vinegar instead.

Today would have been my parent's 72 anniversary. Luckily my dad (97) does not remember so he's happy.

Happy Fourth of July to all.
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by Cubangirl (I love the idea of t...)
How lucky you are to still have your Dad, Alina. :0

Adding beets to slaw is another of those 'Duh' moments - as much as I love beets, have never thought of doing this. I roasted all that I bought, so I have some more to add to another slaw.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Weird Day of Cooking by cjs (How lucky you are to...)
I assume the beets are raw in the slaw? It sounds really good - and easy. Thank for being our "test kitchen".
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!