Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm doing Maryann's review dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I think that's what we will be doing also, but subject to change since it's the weekend.

OT FYI: Battlebots tonight!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by Mare749 (I think that's what ...)
Yup!! (for those of you unaware.....ABC 9 p.m. BattleBots!!)

[Image: 11659419_10203848904657229_1898544593113...lq6zut.jpg]

The Yellow Stinger is my son, Mattie
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by cjs (Yup!! (for those of ...)
I'm making Maryann's B'day dinner for lunch and for dinner it's fish and chips.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by losblanos1 (I'm making Maryann's...)
Back to the boat for the day. Whatever appears good on the beach, we'll eat. Last night had some really good sea scallops, while Picky had fried doughSad Still wanting rib eye but not exactly beach food!
PJ
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by pjcooks (Back to the boat for...)
No plans yet. Tony and I are going to the store to see what looks good. I know baby backs are on sale (hopefully they still have some) and he said he saw some jumbo cooked shrimp (for shrimp cocktail?). Just not sure yet.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by losblanos1 (I'm making Maryann's...)
Roasted a chicken on Friday, made refried beans to go with tacos last night, so making enchiladas with some leftover chicken and beans tonight.

Have had a can of rocoto pepper halves that I've been wanting to use, so decided to experiment with them for making a sauce for the enchiladas. Here's what I came up with:

Enchilada Sauce with Ají Rocoto (Chile Manzano)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Chile Guajillo (seeds and veins removed), torn into small pieces
  • 1 Ají rocoto ("chile manzano" in Mexico) (seeds and veins removed), chopped
  • 4 Oz. Cream cheese
  • 1 Small onion, chopped
  • 2 Oz. Chopped fresh tomato (I used 1 Campari tomato and it weighed 2 ounces)
  • Salt, as needed
Instructions:
  1. Toast the guajillo in a dry saucepan until it just becomes aromatic.
  2. Add enough water or stock to cover the guajillo.
  3. Bring to a boil.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Soak for 20 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, place the rocoto, enough water to cover and some salt.
  7. Boil for 5 minutes.
  8. Drain.
  9. Repeat boiling, etc., with a fresh change of water and salt, two more times.
  10. In a blender, purée the cream cheese, onion, tomato, guajillo and rocoto until smooth.
  11. Adjust salt to taste.
It's delicious, so far, and should be great with chicken, refried beans, some caramelized onions and some minced black olives in enchiladas.

UPDATE:
Good thing I wrote it all down - the enchiladas were wonderful! Two notes for next time (or for anyone else who would like to try these):
  1. The amount of sauce made in my recipe was JUST enough for the five tortillas I used and I would have liked to have had more to put on top (under a final topping of more cheese and minced olives). Thus, I'd make 1 1/2 times the recipe when using five or six tortillas and double the recipe for eight tortillas (i.e. four servings).
  2. The heat of the rocotos got calmed down SO much with everything put together that I would probably add one more of the rocoto halves the next time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by labradors (Roasted a chicken on...)
Oh, that sounds so good, Labs! Copied and saved all your notes.

We had ribs tonight, along with the polenta dish that Jean posted the other day. Very tasty and very corny (in a good way!) I would make that again.
Maryann

Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by Mare749 (Oh, that sounds so g...)
Hurray, Stinger!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 7/5/15?? by labradors (Hurray, Stinger!...)
Wasn't that fun to watch! Way to go, Stinger!
Maryann