Summer Fruit Salad
  Re: (...)
I have been making variations of this fruit/spinach salad for years! My favorite everyday version is to make the pear and port reduction and just drizzle over a fruit platter, topping this with shaved Parmesan or Asiago.

But, making the entire salad gives you one of the best salads I've ever tasted. This post is rather long, but you can take bits and pieces of the salad and not get too fancy. Gotta say I love having these candied walnuts in the freezer!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

SPINACH SALAD WITH BLUE CHEESE, SPICED WALNUTS, PEARS & PORT VINAIGRETTE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey

WALNUTS:
1 1/2 lbs walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 C water
2 c granulated sugar
Couple (or 3 or 4) shakes Tabasco or cayenne pepper
SALAD:
1 750-ml bottle ruby Port (I've used Cabernet Sauvignon or other heavy reds)
1/2 c sugar
5 whole cloves
3 whole allspice
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
2 firm but ripe Anjou pears, peeled
----------
2 T. chopped shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c Champagne Vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3/4 c olive oil
----------
4 ozs Maytag blue cheese, crumbled (~1 cup) Feta is good with this salad also.
2 (5 oz. each) pkgs. baby spinach leaves or mix 1/2 & 1/2 with a spring mix or whatever salad greens preferred

FOR THE WALNUTS:
Bring water & sugar to a boil to dissolve sugar
Add nuts & stir or let sit 1-2 min. & put on a sheet pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray. (Use a sheet large enough for just one layer of nuts)

Bake at 350° for 10-15 min, stirring every 5 min., being careful not to burn. (Bake just till dry)

FOR THE SALAD:
Bring Port, sugar, cloves, allspice and cinnamon to boil in heavy small saucepan, stirring till sugar dissolves.
Reduce heat to med. low. Add pears; cover & simmer till tender when pierced with knife, turning pears every 5 min., ~20 min.

Remove pan from heat. Let cool uncovered 20 min., turning pears once.
Refrigerate pan uncovered till pears are chilled, turning every 1/2 hour, about 1 1/2 hours.
(can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Remove pears from the poaching liquid; reserve liquid. Cut pears lengthwise into halves and core.
Cut lengthwise in 1/4" slices; set aside.

Boil 1/2 cup pear poaching liquid, shallots, & garlic in small saucepan over med. high heat till reduced to 1/4 cup, ~3 min.
Transfer mixture to a medium bowl & cool to room temp.
Whisk in vinegar & mustard. Gradually whisk in olive oil Season dressing to taste w/salt & pepper.

Arrange pear slices around edges of 4 plates. Sprinkle crumbled cheese between pear slices.

Toss spinach and 1/2 cup dressing in large bowl to coat; mound in center of plates. Top with spiced nuts.
Serve, passing remaining dressing separately.

Alternative plating for a crowd: Mound dressed greens on salad plate, fan the pear slices over greens, sprinkle w/crumbled cheese and nuts.

Note: the following variation I did for customers of mine when I was catering in California. The ladies had the same last name, but were not related - both had this salad for every dinner party I did for them and when I was leaving California, they were devastated they would never have it again. Last I heard, they still make this reduction for their fruit platter, too.

REDUCED PORT SAUCE: (This step added for JoAnne Hunt and Bettie Hunt)
Bring the remaining poaching liquid to a boil in a med. sized saucepan over med. heat. Let reduce by 1/2 or 1/3 - stay close, once the reduction starts, it goes quickly. When it has reduced to the amount you want, remove from heat and let cool.

This sauce is wonderful drizzled over the above salad, ice cream, fruit or cheese platters, just experiment with it and be sure to let me know new ideas!!!

This sauce will thicken up as it cools, so it may take a couple times to get the correct hot consistency. Good Luck!

Description:
"This salad is an adaptation of a salad served at the restaurant Fish in Charleston, So. Carolina"

-----------------
If you're still with me here, here is the reason for posting the above. Just saw in a newsletter this morning and I'm happy to say I was 10-15 years ahead of them!

Sweet and Spicy Fruit Salad

The only thing I would do differently with the fruit salad is I wouldn't toss it with the dressing, I'd drizzle it over and sprinkle with cheese.

------------
Here's the whole N.Y.Times article if you're interested -
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/15/dining....html?_r=0
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Fruit Salad by cjs (I have been making v...)
Yum. I sliced peaches into a salad the other day - wonderful. I love fruit in salads.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Summer Fruit Salad by Harborwitch (Yum. I sliced peach...)
This salad sounds wonderful, but a little time consuming. I'm saving it for a special occasion, like when my brother and sister-in-law come visit.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Summer Fruit Salad by Mare749 (This salad sounds wo...)
I usually don't do the whole salad, you can also just add the spices/seasoning to a bottle of wine (omitting the pears) and do the reduction. It is so good over so many things.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Fruit Salad by cjs (I usually don't do t...)
Speaking of fruit IN a salad, I want to make this one on Friday since I pretty much have all the ingredients.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/stone-fr...rice-salad
  Re: Re: Summer Fruit Salad by Trixxee (Speaking of fruit IN...)
Sounds yummy! We recently had a salad with micro greens, slivered almonds, blueberries, shredded carrots, red onion, and goat cheese topped with a really good raspberry vinaigrette.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.