To use up that last cup of buttermilk
  Re: (...)
Of course you can always make ice cubes and put into a zipper bag. But, here is a delicious recipe that I have been using lately for my in-laws and for my dad because they all want really soft bread. I make the small loaves so they can be used up in a few days. Also great for toasting.

Artisan in 5 Buttermilk Bread

2 cups lukewarm water
1 cup buttermilk
1½ T. yeast
1½ T, Kosher salt
1½ T. sugar
6½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
butter or neutral tasting oil for greasing the pan

1. Mix dough, then cover and let rest at room temp until dough rises and collapses or flattens on top, approx. 2 hours.

2. Can be used immediately or stored in fridge for up to 7 days.

3. Bake in a greased 9" loaf pan. Pan should be filled slightly more than half. If chilled, rise for 1 hour, 40 min. If not chilled, 40 min.

4. Dust the top with flour and slash with a knife. Brush the top surface with melted butter.

5. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for about 45 min. until golden brown.

Yield: Makes three 1½ lb. loaves or six small loaves.

Tips: I use my scale to portion the dough into 6 even pieces, usually around 280 grams each, then put into ziploc bags.

Source: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: To use up that last cup of buttermilk by Mare749 (Of course you can al...)
Thanks for sharing Maryann! With all these tomatoes around here, this may just do the trick. I prefer soft bread for those.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: To use up that last cup of buttermilk by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for sharing M...)
Well now, here's another idea for my frozen b.milk! Thanks Maryann.

P.S. ".....then put into ziploc bags."

for the freezer or just to age in fridge??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: To use up that last cup of buttermilk by cjs (Well now, here's ano...)
Jean, I do both, usually freezing half and keeping the other half in the fridge to use at a moment's notice.

I do the same thing with pizza dough but that rarely makes it to the freezer these days because the kiddos are with me so much in the summer and love to make pizza.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: To use up that last cup of buttermilk by Mare749 (Jean, I do both, usu...)
I don't know that I've ever frozen bread dough - don't know why as I do it all the time with pizza dough.

Think I'll do this today!

----------
Coming back on to add -
Where the hell did this rain come from???? High 80s yesterday and now this.....

Maryann, if this bread turns out, I'm going to be real surprised! Roy's busy and I didn't want to go to the store, so I did some subs.

not enough a.p. flour and was going to add whole-wheat, then I saw the corn flour.....added about 3.8 oz. (Oh, and I'm only making a half batch of the bread, too ) and the pepper was calling to me so added a little.

It's now doing its 2 hour thing and I'm so glad I don't have to knead it 'cause I have no more flour in the house!!

P.S. #2 - Oh my God, the bread was terrible - had to throw the whole dang thing away.

Will try it again later after I go to the store and get some flour............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com