Southwestern Dinner
  Re: (...)
Hi
I'm new here, but decided to jump right in. Tonight we will be hosting a Southwestern themed dinner with a number of recipes from Cuisine. So here's the menu

Albondigas
Pickled Shrimps

Stuffed jalapenos on a bed of corn relish with cilantro pesto - from Cuisine at Home (CAH)

Hot Chili Turkey - CAH
Jicama-Mango Tortilla Salad with citrus vinaigrette
Spicy Sweet Potato Salad - CAH
Cornbread Muffins

Banana Enchilada with caramel sauce and minted strawberries - CAH

We have about 25 people attending. Should be fun!

Vicki
  Re: Southwestern Dinner by OldVirginia (Hi[br]I'm new here, ...)
Hi, Old Virginia, and welcome. Please share your reviews of the wonderful sounding dishes with us!!!!!! coco
lol...wow, you're having a REAL dinner party! I hope you post reviews for all your C@H dishes...pretty please? The banana enchiladas look awesome!

Thanks so much for "jumping right in"...we really appreciate it... I hope you have a great time with your party and can't wait to hear all about it.
Tammy
Welcome Vicki, gosh it sounds like an awsome dinner party. Hope it all goes perfectly! I'll be watching this thread for the whole review. Thanks!
Cynthia
Vicki.....
Please do share your results! I'm curious to know what "pickled shrimps" are!
Hope you have a great evening!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Southwestern Dinner by coco hernandez (Hi, Old Virginia, an...)
WHOA!!!! That's quite an undertaking!!!! And for 25 people??!!?? Please let us know the results of your endeavor (s). I admire anyone that can be sooooo very confident with all of these delights---HAVE FUN!!! BTW---I will have to go back and review these recipes--missed them along the way---TOOOO many.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
The dinner was a success for our gourmet group. I prepared the menu and assigned recipes to our members. Most of the CAH recipes were recipes that I had prepared in the past and are part of my "keeper" file. So here goes for a review....

Albondigas: from "Best American Recipes - a south of the border meatball that is delicious with margaritas
Pickled Shrimps: from "Two Hot Tamales"

Stuffed jalapenos on a bed of corn relish with cilantro pesto: from Cuisine at Home (CAH) -- I thought these were delicious, but they had mixed reviews because some felt they were too hot. It's difficult to find jalapenos that are of the same heat. Some are very mild and other extremely hot. These recipe also took a lot more time than the 1 hour indicated. I wouldn't prepared these for a dinner party where I was preparing all the food, but they are good for a group preparation.

Hot Chili Turkey - CAH - Really good and very easy - a winner.
Jicama-Mango Tortilla Salad with citrus vinaigrette - another recipe from "Best American REcipes" - nice and refreshing addition to the plate
Spicy Sweet Potato Salad - CAH - Another winner. I love this recipe. Great with poultry.
Cornbread Muffins

Banana Enchilada with caramel sauce and minted strawberries - CAH - These were beautiful on the plate and many thought they were outstanding. Be sure the flour tortillas don't dry out or they can be very tough.

We had a great time and the menu was a hit, but it isn't something that I would attempt on my own.
  Re: Re: Southwestern Dinner by OldVirginia (The dinner was a suc...)
Oh, wow! So you had each guest prepare a different dish? Is that how it worked? That's so cool!

Did you prepare the stuffed jalapenos as a group? I love the idea of a group preparation. lol..I think I need some more friends...most of mine don't cook!

Best American Recipes-which year was that from? I have the one from 2002-2003...it's probably not that one though, is it?

I'm glad your party was a success and thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Tammy
Vicki, How did that work? Did some guests prepare their assignments at home first or did all 25 people cook there in your kitchen? Anyway, it sounds lovely and delicious. I'm so glad it went so well for you and your group.
Thanks very much for sharing,
Cynthia
That is quite the undertaking---good on you, girl!!!

Now--?? did you have everyone bring a specialty or did you ask for specific dishes? That is an interesting menu---quite unlike something I could possibly think of---now if I could get some of those ingredients I might attempt--HMMM!!!

I hope you has as great a time as the preparation seems to be--tee,hee!!

I will go back to the issues and find the ones that you mentioned---another(s) overlook and by-pass--DUH!!!

Thanx for sharing your great time!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy