Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner today??

Clean the fridge here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by cjs (What's for dinner to...)
We are going to the county fair around noon today. I know I will get my usual gyro - so good - can never recreate it at home. And probably split a couple of other things that are not good for you. LOL.

Michael is excited to go on some rides with his cousins. They normally don't go because it's gotten so expensive but today we get in for free and you get one free ride if you bring in 5 cans of food for the food drive.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by Trixxee (We are going to the ...)
That sounds like fun Trixxee. Have a great time.

Burgers & fries for dinner.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by losblanos1 (That sounds like fun...)
County fair food is always so much fun even though it's so bad for us. Funnel cakes are my favorite.

We have some leftover grilled chicken so we'll have cold chicken salad sandwiches with tots on the side and watermelon for dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by Trixxee (We are going to the ...)
Lucky you! Haven't been to a fair since all the kids grew up and never thought I would miss it but I kinda do. As far as the food is concerned some beach food around here is almost the same as fair food but no fair atmosphere. Should try to hit one this fall.
PJ
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by pjcooks (Lucky you! Haven't ...)
PJ, I love seeing your name on a thread when I come on the forum!

Enjoy your summer with us, 'cause we're enjoyin' you!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by cjs (PJ, I love seeing yo...)
I agree, Jean! I also love to hear the things she cooks! So jealous!

We had a trip to Duke today, so more late afternoon takeout. On the way home, I took advantage of stopping at a good grocery store and picked up some fresh red lettuce, a cucumber, carrots, red onion, croutons, and slivered almonds to add to my Italiam Deli meats and cheese from sandwiches recently, and of course our fresh tomatoes. It was a killer salad!

Since we will be going to Southport tomorrow and eating Kim's Spicy Chicken, we will repeat the salad for dinner. This time, I will be sampling some home made dressings to help out a friend pick out some favorites.

BTW, appointment went well! Plastic surgeon has released him. His part of surgery is healing well. Next visit is with Neurosurgeon next Tuesday.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, Jean! I al...)
Sliced the remaining pork chop into thin strips for a five-spice stir fry with a bag of stir-fry vegetables my mom had in the freezer and some udon noodles.

Mom wants this one again, soon, too.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, Jean! I al...)
Good news about the plastic surgeon! One more obstacle overcome. Best of luck on Tuesday! Don't be too jealous, my dinner tonight was steamed summer squash, carrots and green beans with fresh herbs and half of a grilled ribeye. When you work with detailed stuff all day, ( Kudos to all of you who do it for a living) it's nice to just enjoy the food as is. Especially if it's accompanied by Gnarley Head Authentic Black, a new favorite.
PJ
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/22/15?? by pjcooks (Good news about the ...)
Well now, got to look for that - we do like Gnarley Head.

Great news, Daphne!! Speaking of salad dressings, I played with one the other day and used it two ways - now I don't know which I like best. loved both.

Hoisin/Peanut dressing/sauce

1 1/2 T. Hoisin
2 T. Rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 to 2 T peanut butter
1 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger (was going to use fresh, but didn't have any - I liked the flavor of this, tho)
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. chili-garlic sauce (maybe a full tsp?)
1 1/2 - 2 T. mirin, if needed

Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth, Thin with mirin to correct consistency.

First night I used it on a salad and like it very much; next night tossed the remaining with hot pasta to check out for a sauce and we really liked it! A very mild peanut butter flavor. It's still a work in progress, but coming along.
www.achefsjourney.com