Chili Chicken Skewers
  Re: (...)
It was getting a little confusing for me to go back to that VERY LONG thread on the updates soooo--thought I would try to continue it but without the confusion?!!? If you don't agree, I will gladly go back to the old one BUT_____I made these this evening and I must admit that I had passed them over until I read your critiques-----these were AWESOME---so moist and tender, however, I did replace the pesto with the pineaplle salsa from Issue 10. We don't have jicama here so I used water chestnuts instead for the crunchy texture--a great mix of tastes and textures. AND--instead of the sweet potato mash with banana, I made the roasted sweet potato with maple-jalapeno flavored sour cream---if you have not tried this recipe yet---you MUST!!! Thge flavors of the original skewer recipe are there--just a different mix and DH was extremely pleased---he has a very critical palate!!! See you all later with the results of the Capriccio---question is, how can I demolish that!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY, EVERYONE!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Chili Chicken Skewers by Roxanne 21 (It was getting a lit...)
Thanks for sharing your adaptation to the recipe Roxanne! I think that is a good recipe that can definitely be changed to suit many different tastes!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Chili Chicken Skewers by Roxanne 21 (It was getting a lit...)
I really look forward to trying these skewers. I even went out and bought a grill pan just for them. And those sweet potatoes sound sooo good! Why don't I remember seeing that recipe?

Thanks for the tip on substituting water chestnuts for the jicama...it's not too easy to find here either. I tried it once, but maybe it wasn't so fresh, because it tasted starchy like a raw potato. Is that how it's supposed to be? Anyway, I LOVE water chestnuts, so I'll probably be more apt to like those.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Chili Chicken Skewers by TwilightKitten (I really look forwar...)
I really don't know what jicama is supposed to taste like--I was under the impression that they were more like radishes but less spicey----may be coco will be willing to fill in that piece of the puzzle for us. I know it is really prevalent in the southwest and southern California. The water chestnuts were just right for the texture needed--I think. Whatever--it worked!! DON"T leave the skewers on the heat too long though (they dry out very quickly) and you may want to cut back on the chili powder--I did and it still was VERY hot (but GOOD!!!) ENJOY__easy recipe to prepare.
  Re: Re: Chili Chicken Skewers by Roxanne 21 (I really don't know ...)
Tried these tonight! Yum, so tender and juicey. No sweet potatoes availabe and not a big fan anyway so I made a cilantro type rice. To keep the "Islands" flavor, we made a salad of Romaine/Raddicchio mix with a drained can of Tropical Fruit. Made a dressing out of the juice from the can mixed with red wine vinegear and tossed well. Leftover chocolate bread pudding for dessert. Very glad I tried this one, thanks for the encouragement.
  Re: Re: Chili Chicken Skewers by farnfam (Tried these tonight!...)
Yummy adaptations!!! Nice easy recipe for chicken--IMHO!!!

Thanx for sharing.