OT: Refrigerator recommendations?
  Re: (...)
My mom has had our current, freezer-on-the-bottom refrigerator for two years and has had periodic problems with it for most of that time. Celery in the crisper drawer frozen solid. Lettuce in Tupperware frozen solid. Eggs in their carton frozen solid. Adjusting the temperature settings didn't help, since the next warmer setting kept the fridge at 50 degrees (not safe) and, of course, a colder setting would be even worse.

Fortunately, when my mom and dad bought this, they also got an extended warranty. Unfortunately, though, none of the repairs (replacing the damper unit twice, replacing the controller board twice, and various adjustments) permanently fixed the problem.

At this point, the manufacturer and the warranty service have given up and they have actually sent my mom a check for $1400.

Thus, we are now in the process of shopping for a new refrigerator/freezer and are looking for some recommendations.

The units that Consumer Reports rates most highly are way out of our price range. Some models (e.g. a couple of French-door models) seem as though they would be great, but they are 69.887 inches tall and the space where our refrigerator goes has a cabinet over it at 69.5 inches (and would not be easy to move).

When we start looking at something that would fit, however, the Consumer Reports ratings are not as good and/or the capacity is less and/or online reviews by people who have bought them complain about things such as broken parts and freezing food (the very reason for which we are searching for something new).

What brands, styles and models do YOU have and how would you rate them - especially whether or not you would recommend them to someone else?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by labradors (My mom has had our c...)
I absolutely loved my French door, bottom freezer which I had to leave at the house we sold last year. I could not believe the amount of things I could get in the fridge part and I was still catering at that time.

Must say I never had a problem with veggies nor fruit in the crispers. It was a Sears, piddle, can't remember if it was a Kenmore or not.... But, it wouldn't fit in your space anyway...

Side by Side refrigerator/freezer - I would never recommend. Had 2 over the years (not chosen by me!!) and I hated both every day!

Right now the unit which was in this house when we moved in is an older GE top freezer - no bells or whistles at all. And, I do like it, but will go back to the French Door model when/if we have to upgrade.

We use very little ice....being wine is the drink of choice in this house - so we don't need an ice-maker. I only use ice (at least 90% of the time) for chilling foods. So, I just keep a bag of ice in the big freezer for that purpose.

Not much help, I guess..
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by cjs (I absolutely loved m...)
My LG is 70" so that won't work. But I do love the french doors and freezer on the bottom. Lots of room.
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by Trixxee (My LG is 70" so that...)
We have a Kenmore Elite side by side which I would trade for a French Door in a NY minute. It does work well however. Our second fridge is a Whirlpool top freezer 20.8. It replaced a similar 20 year+ Whirlpool. It is great. Nice big freezer (only one shelf)self-defrost. Refrigerator has 3 drawers (2 air flow adjustable). Keeps veggies in good shape. Door has useful and adjustable shelves. Highly recommend. No ice maker or water dispenser on purpose to save space and money. We got it online at Costco delivered and installed, old fridge removed. It was about $600 back in 2007. Have you checked Costco online?

Always have had Whirlpool or Kenmore except for one Maytag which was horrible.
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by Cubangirl (We have a Kenmore El...)
We used to be Kenmore all the way. When we remodeled the house, I was determined to have a JennAirre stovetop. We were then coerced to get a package deal of fridge and oven/microwave. BIG mistake! The own has NEVER been right, even after NUMEROUS service visits. Something about an over large seal? I use a tobacco stick to jam it closed so the temp is correct when using it. (Tobacco stick explained later, if anyone wants to know.). The fridge ice maker broke after About 6 years, but there were six people using it? Then it started leaking on my antique hardwood floors after 10 years and freezing food in the fridge and ice buildup in the bottom of the freezer. It is a side by side.

All that said, we hope to replace all soon, and hubby has said it will be Kenmore or nothing. Their service is great and all our prior appliances were wonderful and lasted a long time.

Good luck on your search!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by Gourmet_Mom (We used to be Kenmor...)
Im glad now we didn't give in to pressure to go with one brand. We love our JennAir stove top, but got a Dacor oven, Panasonic Inverter microwave and Bosch dishwasher. We had a Maytag fridge which we happily switched back to a Kenmore. Would get those all over again. Two years ago we switched our washer and dryer to LG and they are the best ever.

FWIW, I just realized we don't have "brand loyalty" across appliances just for each. Our tvs are Samsung, Dyson vacuum, Breville toaster oven, Cuisinart FP, KA mixer, Vitamix blender, and Nespresso coffee maker. I would repeat those choices.
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by Cubangirl (Im glad now we didn'...)
Brand loyalty is a thing of the past, I think, Alina. Same with cutlery and cookware - I would never buy a 'set' of either.

I loved my Dacor stovetop I had in the barn. Wouldn't mind duplicating it in the do-over, whenever that may be.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by cjs (Brand loyalty is a t...)
This is true about brand loyalty. But since our disaster out decision to go all JennAire during the remodel, William has put his foot down this time regarding the large appliances.

Speaking of the tobacco stick used to jam the oven door, last night, it finally caught me. I forgot the kids were using the breakfast themed dinner to make extra, including biscuits, to make their daddy breakfast biscuits, to avoid the expense of ready made frozen. (He needs to eat early with meds, so he needs something ready to put in the toaster oven without getting me up.). ANYWAY, since I was not doing the cooking, I forgot they had put the buscuits in to cook while we ate. I was carrying William's plate to the table and tripped over the darn thing! A scraped knee and sore muscles were the only result...other than scaring my family to death! Ashley proclaimed this was a sign that I should not turn all the cooking over to others! LOL! I was lucky! I didn't even spill the plate!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by Gourmet_Mom (This is true about b...)
Again, no pictures....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: Refrigerator recommendations? by cjs (Again, no pictures.....)
And people thought it was only hazardous to your health if someone SMOKED a tobacco stick.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?