Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Not a clue here....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Tony picked up some chicken/habanero sausages at Costco a while back and I just wasn't sure what to do with them. I think I'm going to pick up a couple of fresh baked bolilo rolls, grill the sausages and then top with coleslaw.

This is all predicated on what happens at the dentist this morning. I'm having an issue. Have you ever eaten a tortilla chip and it pokes your gum and the gum gets swollen? Well, that's what is happening here except I haven't poked my gum. It's just swollen and now it's throbbing a little. Been going on a while.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Trixxee (Tony picked up some ...)
ouch!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Trixxee (Tony picked up some ...)
Good luck Trixxee! I hope all goes well and is solved simply.

A while back, Ashley asked me to find a copycat recipe for her favorite Olive Garden recipe for her favorite dish, Braised Beef with Cheese Tortellini. This is the one she chose...

http://www.food.com/recipe/braised-beef-...cat-393586

But after purchasing the ingredients, I decided to study the recipe last night. I'm a little concerned with Marsala being the only liquid. I have not had the dish, so I have tasked her to look it over and decide if we go ahead or modify. We shall see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck Trixxee! ...)
Daphne, this is only a thought...there will be some liquid released from the tomato and mushrooms. Did you happen to see the comment at the top of the recipe? The person who posted it said they had not actually tried it.

Not sure what we're having tonight. Thinking of going to the meat store for some pork chops to grill.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Mare749 (Daphne, this is only...)
Daphne - here is another recipe for short ribs and tortellini and they do add chicken stock. I like the idea of adding a little cream!

http://www.thelittlekitchen.net/beef-sho...ow-cooker/
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Trixxee (Daphne - here is ano...)
That's a big flavor - all that Marsala. I don't think I'd like it as it will be very sweet. As far as the amount of liquid goes, you don't need much for braising, but I agree to checking it often to make sure.

One more note - I love braising in the oven rather than on top of the stove.

Checked out the pantry and we're having an old W.W. Mediterranean tuna & linguine.

I'm also going to make Chef Kelly Johnson's corn stock today for the freezer. I have so many cobs saved, need to use them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by cjs (That's a big flavor ...)
Thanks you guys! Trixxee, I think I'm going to go with the one you posted instead. It sounds more like what she's looking for. We'll see!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! Tr...)
That sounds delicious, Daphne! Let us know how it turns out.

Tonight we had grilled chicken breasts and veggies (zucchini, red onions, red bell peppers, and mushrooms) with the sauce below. The sauce is absolutely delicious, even when made with fat free mayo and fat free sour cream (is anyone noticing a trend here???)

* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

Peruvian Style Grilled Chicken With Green Sauce

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Sauce:
3 whole jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped
-- (see note above)
1 Tbs aji amarillo pepper paste (see note above)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 medium cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp fresh juice from 1 lime
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

1. For the Sauce: Combine jalapeños, aji amarillo (if using), cilantro,
garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, and vinegar in the jar of a
blender. Blend on high speed, scraping down as necessary, until smooth. With
blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Sauce will be quite loose at this point but will thicken as it sits.
Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Recipe Author: J. Kenji López-Alt

Web Page:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/...chicken-wi
th-green-sauce-recipe.html
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 9/3/15?? by karyn (That sounds deliciou...)
Karyn, that sounds really interesting. But it will have to wait....William seems to be off chicken lately.

The Braised Beef was WONDERFUL! Ashley said it was very close to the restaurant dish with a few changes, it would be perfect! As Ashley noted, William got seconds AND did NOT dig out his sauces...like Worcestershire Sauce. THAT is a HUGE thumbs up! I will say that the short ribs would probably have been better (I had to use stew beef since three grocery stores didn't have bone in or boneless!). I also subbed three fresh Roma's for the canned tomatoes and omitted the rest of the tomatoes. In addition, I used half and half instead of cream, since that was what I had on hand.

On reflection, I think I would rather use the short ribs if I can, use the recommended tomatoes, and maybe a little more half and half or use the cream. Also, I used 8 ounces of mushrooms, but will double the amount next time. We like mushrooms! Oh, and I used a 19 ounce pack of small tortellini. Ashley recommends finding the tortelloni (larger pasta?) and maybe use a little more. There was plenty of sauce and meat. It could definitely be stretched a little. And 4 servings?!?!? Are you kidding?!?!?! With the addition of a little more pasta, it would serve 8 anyhow!!!! As it was, it would have easily served 6.
Daphne