Dried pinto bean recipe
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a good recipe for pinto beans the dried version.
Going to use with tacos, enchilidas etc.
Thank you
  Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by nanci (Does anyone have a g...)
Hi Nanci! Are you going to make your refried beans or just want to keep them as whole beans?
  Re: Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by DFen911 (Hi Nanci! Are you go...)
Keeping them whole for the most part
  Re: Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by nanci (Keeping them whole f...)
This is the method I use for any dried bean.

The most important thing to remember when cooking dry beans (any type)do not add salt until cooking time is almost over. Salt can impede beans becoming tender.
Pinto Beans

1 pound pinto beans -- dry
water -- cold, as needed
1 jalapeño pepper
6 ounces onions -- minced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Soak the pinto beans for several hours and then drain them. Put them in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them thoroughly. Pierce the jalapeño several times with a paring knife and add it to the beans. Bring the beans to a boil, add the onions, cover and reduce to a simmer.

Note: if you don’t have time (or inclination to allow beans to soak for several hours, here is a quicker version – “Quick Soak: In a large pot, bring 8 cups cold water for each pound (about 2 3/4 cups) of dried black beans to boiling. Add beans and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and allow to soak for 1 hour. Drain off soaking water and rinse beans.”

Adding enough water to keep the beans barely covered, allow the beans to simmer until they are tender but not mushy, approximately 45 minutes. When the beans are nearly done, allow the liquid to reduce slightly and thicken into a sauce.

Season the beans to taste with salt and discard the jalapeño.

Yield: "1 quart"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another method for cooking black beans is to use your slow cooker – it takes about 5 hours, but it is a completely carefree method and makes your house smell wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by cjs (This is the method I...)
WOW thank you so much so could I use chicken broth instead of the water?
or not
  Re: Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by nanci (WOW thank you so muc...)
Be even better!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dried pinto bean recipe by cjs (Be even better!...)
Thank You