HELP!!!
  Re: (...)
Please help if you can! I went to the store and bought all the ingredients for a nice supper of the smoky grits souffle and shrimp creole with baklava for dessert (Feb 2006 issue) and then somewhere between the store and home I lost my cookbook! I have all these ingredients and no recipe! Supper may be out for tonight, but I really want to make this tomorrow night if at all possible, so if you have this issue, PLEASE send me a copy of these three recipes. Thank you so much!
  Re: HELP!!! by AngelSong (Please help if you c...)
Smoky Grits Souffle

Bring to a boil; whisk in:
2c. water
2 c. whole/2% ilk
1 c. medium or coarse-grind yellow grits

Off heat, stir in;
1 1/2 c. smoked gouda, shredded
1/2 c. cooked ham, diced small
1/4 c. scallions, sliced
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. ground white pepper
1/8 t. cayenne
5 egg yolks

Beat; Fold into Base:
5 egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar

Serve with:
Shrimp Creole

Preheat over to 400Deg. with a rack in the lower thrid. Prepare a souffle dish.

Bring water and milk for the souffle to a boild in a large saucepan. Whisk in grits in a steady stream, stirring constatnly reduce heat to medium-low and simer until grits are thick, 5-8 minutes.

Off heat, stir in gouda, ham, scallions, and seasonings. Transfer grits to a large mixing bowl, the blend in the yolks. Cool grits until they're warm, stirring often to prevent a "skin" from forming.

Beat egg whites and fold into base. Pour batter into prepared dish and bake for 30 minutes; reduce the oven temp to 350 deg. and bake 15-20 minutes longer.

Serve scoops of souffle on top of hot Shrimp Creole!

FOR THE CREOLE;

Saute in 4T. UNSALTED butter:
1/2c. onions, diced
1/2c. green bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. celery, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. cajun seasoning

Deglaze with, stir in:
1/3 c. dry sherry
2. T. all-purpose flour
1 can diced tomatoes and juice (14.5 oz)
1 c. chicken broth
2 T. honey
2 T. worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 lemon

Add and simmer; finish with:
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled
1 1/2 c. frozen sliced okra
1/4 c. choppped fresh parsley
Tabasco to taste.

Saute onions, bell pepper, celery, garlice, tomato paste, and seasonings for the creole in a saute pan in butter over medium-high heat.
Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 mint.

Deglaze with sherry; simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Stir in tomatoes, broth, honey, worcestershire, and lemon juice; simmer 8-10 minutes.

Add shrimp and okra; simmer until shrimp are cooked throught and okra is soft, 3-4 minutes. Finish with parsley and Tabasco!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: HELP!!! by Bizymomma (Smoky Grits Souffle ...)
Oh wow! Folks, if you haven't made this one yet, you absolutely should! I was really nervous with the souffle because I've never made one before. I didn't know how picky it really would be. Added my egg whites to the base and stuck it in the oven having no idea how it would turn out. I didn't know if I had folded it enough, too little, or too much. Well, at least I hoped it would be edible.

After 30 minutes, I opened the oven to look at my souffle before I turned down the temp. IT WAS PERFECT! Light and beautiful, exactly like it was supposed to be! I don't know if souffles are usually this easy, but this one was just wonderful.

As for the creole, oh my goodness! What a delicious flavor! Very easy to make, although I waited a little too long to start it. I thought I would start when I turned down the souffle, but probably should have started about 5 minutes earlier. Nevertheless, it turned out perfectly and was absolutely incredible. I highly recommend both of these recipes (and make them together, they complement each other brilliantly!)
  Re: Re: HELP!!! by AngelSong (Oh wow! Folks, if y...)
Thanks for the critique! I'm so glad that I got to you in time!!!! I will now have to give it a try....
Of course, after our "dinner party rec"!! LOL

night guys!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: HELP!!! by Bizymomma (Thanks for the criti...)
does it ever seem to others there are just not enuf days in the week for menu planning???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HELP!!! by cjs (does it ever seem to...)
I was just thinking that very same thing cj.
  Re: Re: HELP!!! by AngelSong (Oh wow! Folks, if y...)
I agree with Angelsong, this is DELICIOUS! With the kids grown, there are only 2 of us at home, soo... I made the creole and before adding the shrimp and okra, I divided the mixture into 2 portions. One portion went in the fridge for another meal and then I added half the shrimp and okra to the remaining creole. It was so good, we couldn't wait to have it again. Even if you think you don't like okra, try this!

Vicki