1/4 t. ground cardamom, optional
pinch of salt
3/4 c. sliced almonds
1/4 c. white sesame seeds

Melt; layer:
8 T. unsalted butter
8 sheets phyllo, divided
Prepared nut mixture

Prehead over to 350deg; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Simmer honey, water, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves, and citrus juices in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook untill reduced to 1 1/4 c., about 30 minutes. Transfer to a liquid measuring cup to cool.

Pulse pistachios, walnuts, sugar, spices, and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl, then stir in the almonds and sesame seeds.

Metl butter, then brush some over a phyllo sheet. Layer and butter 3 more sheets (for a total of 4 sheets). Sprinkle a generous cup of the nut mixture over the stack, then roll. Cut the log in half (if necessary) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat layering and rolling with remaining phyllo, butter, and nuts. Brush logs with butter, score, and bake until golden and crisp, about 45 minutes.
Cut baklava through the scored marks using a pizza wheel or knife, then dip the pieces into the honey mixture. Drain on a rack set over a baking sheet; let stand for an hour before serving, or store in an airtight container in a single layer!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Four-Nut Honey Baklava by Bizymomma (Simmer:[br]1 c. hone...)
Okay, taking a short break while the baklava cooks. I'll let you know about the taste later (I think it's going to be wonderful) but don't believe anyone that tells you that working with phyllo is no problem. Dries out quickly? Well that would have been a nice change! I had everything ready so that I could assemble the baklava quickly, opened the phyllo dough, and here I go. The first sheet completely shreds as I try to lift it, so I throw it and the next one away. No problem, the third sheet lifts nicely and I begin to brush it with butter. Not too bad, it tears a little but that's okay. Three sheets follow, no problem, add the nut mixture -- and then try to roll the thing. PROBLEM!!! Maybe if you had eight sheets instead of four it might work better, but the dough completely disintegrated into a sodden mass. I rolled as best I could, but the whole thing seemed to completely dissolve. Now I belong to the school of cooking that says that when you serve your family it doesn't have to look gorgeous as long as it tastes good. So I scoop up the logs best I can and transfer them to my cooking sheet, filling oozing out everywhere. The second one was marginally better, I used less butter and it seemed to roll up more easily, but once again the dough completely dissolved when I tried to move the rolls. So they're in the oven now, the honey is wonderful, the nut mixture is heavenly, and even if we have to sccop them out of a bowl, I think they will be wonderful! But this is not one I would make for a fancy occasion without a LOT more experience working with phyllo!
  Re: Re: Four-Nut Honey Baklava by AngelSong (Okay, taking a short...)
LOL...I think I'll let you perfect it, then share your secrets!
I'm so glad that I was able to get the recipe to you on time for your dinner! I can imagine how frustrating that would be!
Loving every moment of my life!!
Well I'll be darned... they may have fallen apart a bit in the process, but they came out of the oven looking wonderful. Maybe they wouldn't win a beauty contest, but the dough cooked up to be crispy and gorgeous. So I guess the lesson is not to be anal about preparing them, they really do come out well. That said, I would recommend that you do not make the honey sauce until after you put the baklava in the oven. When it cools, it becomes too solid to dip anything in.
  Re: Re: Four-Nut Honey Baklava by AngelSong (Well I'll be darned....)
Yummy... they turned out delicious, but a few words of warning. The honey dip is like tar. As soon as it hardens, good luck! We basically had to scrape the baklava off the rack. They are delicious with the honey, but also quite good without.
  Re: Re: Four-Nut Honey Baklava by AngelSong (Yummy... they turned...)
Thanks so much for the review! I was thinking of making these for the online dinner party. Still don't know what dessert will be.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Four-Nut Honey Baklava by TwilightKitten (Thanks so much for t...)
And now, we cooks are so lucky - Athens has come out with pre-buttered phyllo dough!!! Best news in baking in years! I used to have to fight those sheets making hundreds of Spanakopitas - made me wonder sometimes why I chose this field.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Bizymomma---that was really a wonderful thing you just did--THREE menus!!!!!! You're a star!!!!

I took a peek at that baklava recipe and have decided to stay with my old tried and true. This one seems to be a little finicky--and more complicated. But would like to have some reviews before I decide either way.

The tip with phyllo is the thawing process---thaw overnight (at least) in the refrigerator and then at room temp for at least two hours. This has always worked beautifully for me and I find that it isn't necessary to keep covered with a damp cloth. Sometimes the first sheet will be a goner--but very infrequently. Check the expiration date on the packaging as well---purchase the most recent date available. These tips might help a little.

Honey seems to be VERY heavy for this pastry--maybe a sugar syrup of some kind? IMHO

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy