Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Kind of a new fall/winterish dish for us - F&W's 'Golden Mac and cheese with butternut squash puree' and a salad.

Does anyone have or have you ever done a waffle batter that will keep in the fridge and make them fresh for 2 or 3 days?
I don't want to make a batch at one time, but fresh for few days.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I have not tried that yet, Jean. Would it be like a sourdough starter? This might be fun to play with....

Haven't decided what's for dinner yet. It's 42 degrees here and raining. Time to start menu planning.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by Mare749 (I have not tried tha...)
I do have a cup of fed sourdough to use up if.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by cjs (I do have a cup of f...)
I've never been a big waffle maker.

I'm thinking about a chef salad, but this could change.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm doing an Osso Buco recipe, but not the one from Issue #7. Bought two beautiful shanks yesterday ($14.99 per lb. ouch!!). Also bought some risotto and some orzo, haven't decided which for me. Hubby will have a baked potato.

Never made this before so we'll see how it goes!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by BarbaraS (I'm doing an Osso Bu...)
Good luck and I bet it will be great!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by cjs (Good luck and I bet ...)
Let us know how it turns out, Barbara.

Okay, so I finally decided to make this and it's in the oven now. Rolled Italian Meatloaf recipe came in an email from Betty Crocker online.

Will be cooking what's left of the bag of spinach and making mashed potatoes.

[Image: Italian%20Meatloaf_zpsxar6itjn.jpg]

Rolled Italian Meat Loaf

1 1/4 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
3/4 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 egg
1 can (8 oz) pizza sauce
1/4 cup Progresso™ Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded 6 cheese Italian cheese blend (8 oz)
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach leaves

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix ground beef, sausage, egg, 1/2 cup of the pizza sauce, the bread crumbs and pepper.

2. On foil, pat mixture to12x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; gently press into meat. Top with spinach. Starting at short end, roll up tightly, using foil to start roll and tucking in spinach leaves; seal ends. Place seam side down in ungreased 12x8-inch (2 quart) glass baking dish.

3. Bake 1 hour. Spread remaining pizza sauce over top. Bake 15 minutes longer or until thermometer inserted in meat loaf reads 160°F. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Servings: 8

Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by Mare749 (Let us know how it t...)
Oh bet that would be a good sandwich, also!!

We had a winner today, also - I posted this on facebook -
"Here is a flavor enhancer for Mac & Cheese that we loved! I added mashed roasted butternut squash and 1/2 a roasted Poblano pepper to a batch of M&C. Also, for those who love the creaminess Velveeta gives a cheese sauce, I used 1/2 Velveeta combined with cheddar cheese. Cheddar has a tendency to make a sauce grainy to me and the Velveeta smoothes it all out.

I’m embarrassed to say this is what we (THE TWO OF US!) ate at one sitting. That’s how good it is. And, the wine? A Chardonnay was very good."

[Image: Oct%203%20B.nut%20Sq.%20Mac%20and%20Chee...sfwemw.jpg]

[Image: Oct%203%20B.Sq.%20Mac%20and%20Cheese%20l...1tqjuv.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by cjs (Oh bet that would be...)
That sounds amazing, Jean. Will have to try this. Would you say you used about a cup of mashed butternut squash?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/3/15?? by Mare749 (That sounds amazing,...)
closer to 2 cups
www.achefsjourney.com