ISO - Rubs
  Re: (...)
I need 2 rubs, they need to be simple rubs.

One for chicken and one for beef. No complicated ingredients as I'll be providing these recipes to some folks here where I live and we don't have availability of the more exotic ingredients.

Also it must be assumed they do not have the ability to order from Amazon. Yep a lot of folks here with no internet...crazy I know

Thanks guys!
  Re: ISO - Rubs by DFen911 (I need 2 rubs, they ...)
Denise, this is a rub I got from a special publication called Sizzle. It is from a well known chef, but I forget. If you want the name, let me know. Anyway, it makes the BEST Beer Can Chicken I've ever had! But I was not happy with it on pork. I make the whole batch and keep the unused portion in the cabinet for next time. But to be honest, I use probably twice the amount recommended for a whole chicken. We like a lot of flavor.

Beer Can Chicken Rub

Ingredients
3 T sugar
2 T smoked paprika
2 T kosher salt
2 T packed brown sugar
1 T cumin
1 T black pepper, freshly ground
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T celery seeds
2 t chili powder
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t cayenne pepper
Preparation

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

For a smoother rub, process ingredients in a spice grinder.

Season clean dry chicken with 2 T of rub (I use more.).

Empty about a fourth of the beer. (I do more because it foams up so much.) Using a church key, make another opening in beer can. Add 1 T of rub to beer.

Set beer can on grill grate over indirect heat and place chicken on can so it looks like the chicken is sitting on the grate.

Cover and cook 1 to 1/2 hours until desired temperature. (165 for the breast and 180 for the thigh.)

Let rest 10 minutes after removing from can and placing on platter or cutting board. Discard beer.

Best chicken I've ever had, hands down!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, this is a ru...)
Here's a rub I love on chicken - it also has a little fame to it. June used my rub for chicken while she was France doing her thesis for Sommelier. Easy ingredients to find.

Cinnamon-Coffee Rub - a Chef's Journey
1 Tablespoon Saigon Cinnamon
2 teaspoons cocoa
2 teaspoons Instant Espresso powder
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped

Mix the above and rub on chicken pcs. Let marinate in frig for 3 hours or overnite.

----------
"BERCH'S BEST" DRY RUB

For Pork or Beef - any 2 lbs. or larger cut of choice (tri-tip, tenderloin, London broil, chops, etc.)

In a small bowl, mix:
1 T. coarse sea salt
1 1/4 tsp. of each:
dill, red pepper powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, chile powder

Drizzle w/olive oil & drops of Worcester sauce on the meat. Sprinkle & rub dry mix on both sides of meat.

Store in frig. (the longer, the better) or let sit out for 1 hour.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by cjs (Here's a rub I love ...)
Thanks guys!!
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by DFen911 (Thanks guys!! [img]/...)
Here is one from Steve Raichlen that I use all the time. You can add anything you want to it, garlic powder, herbs, etc. but I usually just use it as is. Quick and easy.

1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 T. freshly ground black pepper
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by Mare749 (Here is one from Ste...)
If Denise doesn't mind, I made this a sticky and maybe we can all add our favorites -even tho Oregonians may not be able to find all the ingredients??????????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by cjs (If Denise doesn't mi...)
We've used this one a lot. Very good. As a matter of fact, think we'll do it for beer can chicken today.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...le-cream-235158
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by Trixxee (We've used this one ...)
I have that I use for rotisserie chicken that is just fantastic. It works on a roasted chicken too

2 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by DFen911 (I have that I use fo...)
Everyone copy the rubs they want?? Time to let this one go?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Rubs by cjs (Everyone copy the ru...)
I saved the whole thread. Now to remember I saved it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.