Canadian Bacon - Making at Home
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from Chef Dave Nelson of Chef2Chef and it's wonderful.

Canadian Bacon - Dave Nelson

BRINE FIRST

Day One...
You'll need to gather your curing ingredients:
Morton's Tender Quick,
Brown Sugar
Montreal Steak Seasoning.

You'll need 1 tablespoon Morton's Tender Quick,
1 teaspoon brown sugar and
1 teaspoon or so of Montreal Steak Seasoning for each 1 pound bacon.
Once measured, blend together.

Cut your boneless pork loin into four one pound pieces and get your Jaccard Meat Tenderizer ready. Jaccard the loins in three stabs per side...this allows the cure to penetrate quickly and thoroughly. You'll need to rub each piece with the spice blend thoroughly.

I like to tie the pieces to keep a nice round shape during the smoking process.
Cure under refrigeration each piece for 24 hours in separate zip style bags.

Day Two
After 24 hours...remove the pieces from the fridge and rinse very thoroughly....Let them sit to dry for 1/2 hour or so. There will be some specks of pepper from the seasoning.
Once they have dried a bit, put them into a prepared smoker and close the lid tight.

Mine took four hours to reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Allow to cool to room temperature before storing or freezing.

NOTES; if can't get the Montreal seasoning - Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend
-Makes 1/4 cup

* 4 tablespoons salt
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
* 1/2 tablespoon dried garlic
* 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
* 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
* 1/2 tablespoon dried fennel

1. Combine all in a Ziploc bag or shaker and mix thoroughly.
Dave: You can do it with just the sugar and salt cure. I add the seasoning because I like the flavor. I have done it without the first few times and was very satisfied. Thanks for that recipe for the Montreal Seasoning...have to try it out.

My note – I love the recipe for the Montreal seasoning.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Canadian Bacon - Making at Home by cjs (This recipe is from ...)
Thanks for the recipe, Jean. Especially the steak seasoning. I have failed to find it before.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Canadian Bacon - Making at Home by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the recip...)
Thanks, Jean. What do you do if you don't have that tenderizer thingy? I do have a metal pounder with a flat side and a pointed side, but it's not the same as the needles in tenderizer gadget.

I like the recipe for the montreal seasoning and will just use that. McCormick makes one and it is easily found in the grocery aisle with the spices, but it's a bit expensive for just a little bottle.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Canadian Bacon - Making at Home by Mare749 (Thanks, Jean. What d...)
you can use s sharp knife and poke a few holes here and there if you don't have a Jaccard - altho, with the smoking you and Ron do, you might think about getting one. They are sure handy.

This little burg doesn't have the tender quick and I think I threw mine away when we went on the road, so THANK GOD for Amazon Prime. I'll have it Wednesday!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canadian Bacon - Making at Home by cjs (you can use s sharp ...)
I don't have Amazon prime and don't really want to pay for shipping, so will have to wait on this project until I can locate Tender Quick. I had a sack of it that turned to a brick, so I tossed it. After calling several stores yesterday, one told me that it was on order and possibly coming in on Wednesday but they couldn't promise.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Canadian Bacon - Making at Home by Mare749 (I don't have Amazon ...)
waiting, waiting, waiting..... (which I don't do well!)
www.achefsjourney.com