Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm doing an old Saveur dish Cong Bao Rou Si (Stir-fried pork with leeks) today.

Our cheese club shipment came the other day, so for our later snack I'm making Ham salad on Gruyere potato coins, an appetizer to go with a bowl of soup.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
That all sounds great.

We are having the thai chicken lettuce wraps today, scallion pancake on the side for Tony. For lunch I'm making some sautéed tilapia and either asparagus or sautéed squash.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by Trixxee (That all sounds grea...)
Love the sound of your snack, Jean.

Falling back on family comfort food. We are having country fried steak, mashed potatoes, and peas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Love the sound of yo...)
I had a comfort food craving today as well...it's old-school sloppy joes for us!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by karyn (I had a comfort food...)
Everything sounds so good tonight and I can't even remember the last time that I had a sloppy Joe, on the menu for next Tuesday, thanks Karyn.

A few weeks ago I made Norwegian meatballs and I put the leftovers in the freezer for a day that we needed comfort food, today is that day.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by karyn (I had a comfort food...)
I'm posting this tomorrow on facebook, but wanted to share with all of you first -

"Working Peoples Alert!! This is the simplest dinner I have ever made and drizzling with a little Thai Sweet Chili Sauce just makes a body happy, happy! It is a recipe from Saveur newsletter and it took me longer to set the table than it did to make the dish!!
Pork - Cong Bao Rou Si (Stir-Fried Pork with Leeks) SOON

10 oz boneless pork butt, frozen for 20 minutes and cut into 2" x 1/8" strips
1 tsp Asian sesame oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
½ tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs canola oil
1 leek, white and pale green parts only, cut diagonally into ¼"-thick slices

In a medium bowl, combine the pork, sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and half the garlic; let sit for 15 minutes. (I marinated the pork a couple of hours)

Heat a 14" wok (or stainless-steel skillet) over high heat until wok begins to smoke. Add 1 tbsp. oil around the edge of the wok and swirl to coat the bottom and sides. Add the leeks and cook, stirring and tossing constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer leeks to a plate and set aside.

Return wok to high heat and add remaining oil around edge of wok, swirling to coat the bottom and sides. Add the pork mixture and remaining garlic and cook, stirring and tossing constantly, until the pork is browned, about 2 minutes.

Add reserved leeks to the wok and cook, stirring and tossing often, until just tender, about 1 minute.

We both really enjoyed this."

[Image: Oct%2028%20Stir-Fried%20Pork%20w%20leeks...dlavdu.jpg]
[Image: Oct%2028%20Stir-Fried%20Pork%20w%20leeks...agfooi.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by cjs (I'm posting this tom...)
Now doesn't that sound tasty! Copied and saved! Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/28/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Now doesn't that sou...)
Hope you like it - just reread the post and saw the measurement for the pork was scrambled - s/b 2 X 1/8" strips
www.achefsjourney.com