A Confession 75 Years in the Making!!
  Re: (...)

A confession after 75 years!!!! Geez, I can’t believe this, but I have never put a pickle on a sandwich or burger. This morning I saw a recipe on about.com – Derrick Riches, the Grilling & Barbecues ‘Expert’ and tried it for lunch today. A Brat Burger and it was one of the best burgers I’ve tasted AND I put pickles AND sauerkraut (another rare occurrence for me!) on it along with deli mustard. That’s it and it was great! I got 4 patties out of ‘skinning’ 4 brats and making patties and drizzling (wait for it!!) jalapeno syrup over the patties as they fry. I think “a pickle on a burger monster” has been created! Wine recommendation? “If it grows together, it goes together” – so, we tried a Gewurtzminer and it went perfectly.

[Image: Oct%2031%20Brat%20Burger_zpsi3drjbaz.jpg]
(If I'd known it was going to be so good, I'd have used a better bun!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by cjs ([br]A confession aft...)
That's awesome Jean, maybe you're ready for a Cubano now.
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by losblanos1 (That's awesome Jean,...)
Jean, that looks awesome. That's a dill pickle, right? What a great idea to make your own burger from a brat!

Isn't it fun to discover that we like something on a sandwich that we never thought of trying before. I didn't used to think much beyond some mustard or mayo. In recent years, I've discovered that I love "banh mi" flavors and always add vegetables to my sandwiches.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by losblanos1 (That's awesome Jean,...)
I'm so proud of you for coming out of the closet!! Your culinary life is now complete. Your next cookbook will be titled, "Pickles & Kraut, A Life Fulfilled". This is truly "A Chefs Journey Home".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by Old Bay (I'm so proud of you ...)
lol Bill.
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by losblanos1 (lol Bill. [img]/ubbt...)
Bill, that was inspired!!!!

Jean, welcome to the new world of sauerkraut! I just joined, too! And great idea about partying them!

Maryann, if I remember from another thread, Jean said she planned to use bread and butter pickles, but I'm not sure?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, that was inspi...)
I just got done making another batch of kraut. And once you make your own there is no going back
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by DFen911 (I just got done maki...)
Jean, I have become increasingly enamored with pickled anything on almost everything recently...watch out!!

Bill, you are too funny!!

Daphne, have you shared your kraut recipe? I'd love to give that a try...I've been doing quick/fresh pickles, not fermented ones. TIA!
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by karyn (Jean, I have become ...)
Still don't like pickles on burgers (or much else) but they are necessary for Cubanos and banh mi.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Confession 75 Years in the Making!! by labradors (Still don't like pic...)
Karyn, I'm not making the sauerkraut. It was store bought. I just added it to the liquid and onions in Jean's Beer Brat Recipe after I took out the brats to grill them to crisp the skin. It was so good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.