Egg Yolks
  Re: (...)
The recipe I'm using calls for mostly egg whites. I thought we had discussed freezing eggs before, but a search turned up nothing. Additionally, I think the discussion was about egg whites.

So my question is, can you freeze the yolks? And should I initially freeze them separately for later use? Also, considering we may be having breakfast for dinner later in the week, could they been held in the fridge for 4-5 days?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Egg Yolks by Gourmet_Mom (The recipe I'm using...)
Here you go Daphne - compliments of about.com

If frozen as is, egg yolk will eventually become so gelatinous it will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup egg yolks (4 yolks). Label the container with the number or yolks, the date, and whether you've added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts).

Thaw frozen egg yolks overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water. Use yolks as soon as they're thawed. Substitute 1 tablespoon thawed egg yolk for 1 large fresh egg yolk.

------

I've been successful freezing egg yolks after whipping a little milk in them as you usually add milk to whatever. But, I think I like this idea better. good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks by cjs (Here you go Daphne -...)
So, the latest issue of Bon Apetite talks about cured egg yolks. It's not a traditional treatment, but I saved the article because it sounds so interesting. Here's the link. I will be trying at some time, but right now, I'm doing school, y'know?
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks by karyn (So, the latest issue...)
Maybe because I just got done doing a lot of dishes for a somewhat mediocre meal and helping Michael put together an essay, but I can't imagine doing anything extra to save an egg white or egg yolk.

Good on ya to those who have the ambition!
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks by Trixxee (Maybe because I just...)
With knowledge that 2 for one, and William's desire for Breakfast for Dinner tomorrow, Ashley had the best solution. We will have pancakes tomorrow. So some of the egg yolks will be used tomorrow. The rest will be frozen.

Thanks, you guys!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks by Gourmet_Mom (With knowledge that ...)
For future reference of various egg products from my MFP book -

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.
  Re: Re: Egg Yolks by DFen911 (For future reference...)
Thanks, Denise! This had been copies and saved for when I need it!!