Got A Pie Recipe Q
  Re: (...)
I found this recipe for a Salted Caramel Apple Pie: http://relish.com/recipes/salted-caramel-pie-video/ that I want to make. My two questions are this:

Do I really need to use unbleached flour for the crust?

Do I really need to peel the apples?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by BarbaraS (I found this recipe ...)
No, unbleached is interchangeable with regular all purpose.

I would suggest peeling the apples, but it is a personal preference.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by cjs (No, unbleached is in...)
Okay, so here's another two Qs:

Would you mix/use different varieties in one pie or stick with a singular variety?

What variety of apples do you prefer to bake in a pie?

I'm doing the shopping tomorrow and making the pie on Sunday so your responses are really appreciated!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Okay, so here's anot...)
Barbara, I love using different apples within one recipe - applesauce, pies, etc.

The different flavors, textures makes for such interesting results. I love Granny Smith for cooking and always use a majority of them for anything - with the addition of any local apples - Gala, Gravenstein, Jonathan, Honey Crisp, so many wonderful varieties. I like to add at least 3 different apples - around Granny Smith.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by cjs (Barbara, I love usin...)
Thanks Jean! The recommended apples were Crispin, Cortland, and Granny Smiths. I figured to get a couple of each plus two extras because I have a deep dish pie pan.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by BarbaraS (Thanks Jean! The re...)
Going to smell so wonderful!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by cjs (Going to smell so wo...)
Good luck, Barbara! Imy two apple pie attempts were failures, so I'd be no help. But your recipe sounds good! I'm doing my Thanksgiving shopping tomorrow, also.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by Gourmet_Mom (Good luck, Barbara! ...)
How's this for a mixture?

[Image: 7A7tRUA.jpg]

That's a Papaya and Apple Pie I made last week as an experiment for something different I might consider selling. Still looking for a real showstopper, though, but this was delicious.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Got A Pie Recipe Q by labradors (How's this for a mix...)
sounds like a great combination, Labs.
www.achefsjourney.com