Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Thawing skirt steak, now to look for ideas...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
My dad is having some minor surgery today, so I wanted to have something ready for him. Made beef stew last night and put it in the crockpot. This morning, I am working on his favorite raisin bread. Will take all of it over to him this afternoon and have some of that with him.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by Mare749 (My dad is having som...)
Turkey noodle soup!

Maryann I hope his procedure goes well.
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by Mare749 (My dad is having som...)
Chinese dragon and phoenix. I don't have snow peas so will have to sub broccoli. I hope the final product is like I remember it sooooo many years ago. I have no clue as to why this dish popped into my pea brain

I hope your Dad recovers speedily, Mare. Of course he will with those goodies you will bring along
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by Roxanne 21 (Chinese dragon and p...)
Hope all goes well for your dad, MA.

Not sure what will happen here. Tony is probably going to miss dinner due to being in San Diego for the day (could be a 75 minute drive home, could be 2 1/2 hours, you never know).

That said, I might make that sausage and butternut squash soup and then we can have the leftovers tomorrow night.
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by Roxanne 21 (Chinese dragon and p...)
Want to add my good wishes for your Dad, also, Maryann.

Geez Roxanne, you sent me to googling on this one!! How good does it sound! Is this one close at all to what you make?

DRAGON AND PHOENIX DISH

1 lb. prawns
2 chicken breasts
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 egg white
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 med. size carrot
1/3 (10 oz.) can bamboo shoots
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 c. snow peas or chopped broccoli
1 c. oil
2 pieces ginger root, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp. wine
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 c. water

Shell and devein prawns. Bone chicken breasts and cut into pieces against the grain. Marinate chicken in 1 teaspoon soy sauce for 5 minutes. Mix chicken and prawns with egg white, baking soda and cornstarch. Blanch the carrot and bamboo shoots first, then snow peas or broccoli. Heat oil in a wok until very hot, quick fry chicken and prawns, keep stirring until the meat and prawns change color. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Take out meat and prawns and spoon out oil, leaving 2 tablespoons in wok. Fry ginger and onion together, then add the vegetables, meat and prawns, stir a few times, then add the wine and the other seasonings. Salt and MSG to taste. Serves 4.

------------

P.S. I know what we're having mid-day - The skirt steak with poblanos and corn and either butternut squash or spicy pinto beans. Later, we're meeting the Tuesday Motley crew at another bar.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by cjs (Want to add my good ...)
That does sound good, Jean! Roxanne, I'd love to hear if that's what you were thinking. I did some freezer diving and we're having pizza with dough and a thai chicken topping I made several weeks ago. All I have to do is grate the cheese, roll the dough and heat the oven. I should probably make a salad, too, but we'll see...
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by karyn (That does sound good...)
Hope your dad's procedure goes well, Maryann!

That dish looks awesome. I hope Roxanne comes back to reply..

My mother's last sister died this weekend. She's the one that never got married, so she treated all her nephews and nieces like her own. I can still remember her fixing my breakfast and walking me to kindergarten. Her funeral was today, so Ashley suggested burgers and tots.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by Gourmet_Mom (Hope your dad's proc...)
My condolences, Daphne, to you and your mom. I lost my favorite aunt (my mom's sister) last year around this time and really miss her.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. Dad's surgery went well and he was back home in 4 hours hungry as a bear. So, beef stew and fresh bread made him happy-happy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tueday's Dinner, 12/1/15?? by cjs (Want to add my good ...)
http://www.today.com/food/make-martin-ya...1D80360195

This was the recipe I used but I also downloaded the recipe that you posted Jean. I assumed that the Yan recipe would be closer to the real deal for obvious reasons. It was good but I think the other recipe would be better. I will make that one in the future for comparison. For some reason, I remember the shrimp having a tempura type batter but did not find a recipe with that element. I will batter the shrimp next time as an experiment. Peter really loved this dish. I will give it a solid 9 but I know it can be better.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy