Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm doing an old pork roast recipe I used to do in the 60s. Don't know why it popped into my head, but now I'm craving it.

Here's the recipe -
PORK - OVEN BARBECUED PORK ROAST*****
I don't cook pork this long anymore; I pull it at ~135° and start saucing it at ~115°

Started making this in the 60s and we all love it. It's the one that makes such a mess in the oven.

3 -5 lb loin of pork roast
1 can tomato soup
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp prepared mustard
4 drops tabasco sauce

1. Roast the loin of pork, uncovered in a 325 F. oven for 45 minutes.

2. While the pork is roasting, combine the sauce ingredients and after the 45 minutes spoon over the roast making sure the sauce goes between the partial slices.

3. Continue roasting, spooning the sauce over the meat two or three times until the pork reaches 145 F. or another 45-55 minutes.

4. Finish slicing through the roast for individual portions and spoon sauce over each slice.

Author Notes
"Cut partially through the loin roast between the ribs to allow the sauce to cover as much of the roast as possible. Baked potatoes go very well with this dish, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm doing the Filets with Marchand de Vin sauce. Couldn't find demi-glace at Wegmans yesterday, but am going back today to look again.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by BarbaraS (I'm doing the Filets...)
GREAT MINDS, Jean. I'm also doing a pork roast but it is the leg. One of Peter's favorites. Some green veggie on the side. NO starch--he has to get his glucose level down a bit even though it is okay...he is freaking because it is in the sixes and he wants it in the fives.....THOSE CHOCOLATES ARE EVIL!!!

I have to do an internal temp of 160ish...just my choice
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by Roxanne 21 (GREAT MINDS, Jean. ...)
That sauce is so good, I'm going to make it with Better than bouillon to see if that would work. Someday! I still have a tub of demi glace to use up.

Dinner tonight is from the new issue, Beef pot pies with the side salad. The best part of dinner is that CA is doing the cookin.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by losblanos1 (That sauce is so goo...)
Blane,

How would you do it with Better Than Bullion? I have that in my fridge so if I strike out again today, I'll have to use that.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by BarbaraS (Blane,[br][br]How wo...)
You might add a slurry to the Bullion and a little Worchestershire to make it a little gravy-like.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by cjs (You might add a slur...)
We're headed over to a friend's mountain house for the afternoon and evening, so I'm not cooking.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by BarbaraS (Blane,[br][br]How wo...)
Barbara,

I was going to follow the instructions on the demi glace. I'm at work so I can't give you the ratio, I think it was 4T water to 1T Demi glace.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by losblanos1 (Barbara,[br][br]I wa...)
I think we're doing the limoncello chicken. Zucchini and yellow squash on the side and not sure of the starch (as if we need one). There is angel hair, couscous or garlic bread to choose from.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 12/19/15?? by losblanos1 (Barbara,[br][br]I wa...)
Scored the demi-glace at Wegmans!! But thanks for the ratio amount.

Barbara