Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015
  Re: (...)
I was hoping someone with the HO-HO-HO Christmas spirit might start this thread, but nada. I just am not into it this year. I think its been too many years since I've been with my kids, so watch out next year!

We tried to get excited about something for both of the above, but, so far nothing really excites me. Maybe you all will bring us something that grabs me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by cjs (I was hoping someone...)
Not feeling it myself either. We are meeting my family at this restaurant in Laguna Beach for Christmas Eve. Frankly I'm not really even looking forward to it - it's cramped and dark and loud. Can't hear what anyone is saying except for whoever you are sitting next to. Not sure about Christmas day dinner. Nothing is jumping out at me. Gosh, I sound like a Scrooge.

http://alessalaguna.com/dinner-menu-2/
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by Trixxee (Not feeling it mysel...)
AHHHH!!! This is the feeling that we have had for the past few years. It's just NOT Christmas here in the warm summer and with no family around. BAH HUMBUG I would love to do a turkey but WHAAAAA!!!! Maybe a duck? Not a clue. Plus the fact that decorations have been up since the beginning of OCTOBER---GEESH!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by Roxanne 21 (AHHHH!!! This is th...)
Geez, aren't we a merry band of elves...........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by cjs (Geez, aren't we a me...)
October? Really? WOW!

We have a Chauceuterie platter on Christmas Eve. I also make my crab dip. This year we are adding Spinach Dip and shrimp...Jason, Ashley's boyfriend's request.

This year's Christmas Day dinner is C@H inspired. We start with the Shrimp Bisque, Caesar Salad, the fillet Mignon with the wine reduction, and twice baked potatoes (kids request over the hassle backs) and New York Cheesecake.

I'm making almost everything ahead, including the steak sauce so that the only actual cooking will be the shrimp for the bisque and the steaks. Both of which should be a cinch. My schedule for the week is made. I'll do my timeline for the two days tomorrow. Grocery shopping tomorrow in the city with my grocery guru, Ashley.

Even with all the challenges from the year, I'm starting to get in the spirit. It helps that Ashley finally finished decorating the tree yesterday. She did a great job!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by Gourmet_Mom (October? Really? W...)
Just an aside - Ashley and Jason have been together so long they almost have a common-law marriage I would think.

Everything sounds good, Daphne.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by cjs (Just an aside - Ashl...)
Isn't that the truth! They are starting to take some heat from family members! LOL! But they want to get totally financially secure before they make the final commitment.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by Gourmet_Mom (Isn't that the truth...)
We are all going over to Holly's house for Christmas Eve. I passed the torch when they bought "the big house" a few years ago, and she loves to do it. We all help with the food. Ron got a honeybaked ham package from work that includes roasted turkey. I'm going to make the cocktail meatballs that everyone likes. My sister will bring a potato casserole that I think she calls party potatoes. Heather is making two different vegetable casseroles. Holly is making a salad and a couple of dips. All of the family including nieces, nephews, and their significant others usually come through at some point of the evening, so we use crockpots to keep the hot food warm.

On Christmas day, Ron and I will cook a beef roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables and rolls for my dad and in-laws.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by Mare749 (We are all going ove...)
I am actually really looking forward to all of it. It does make a difference that both of our boys will be here along with the the GF of more than 4 years who we adore. I think that if her parents would ever come back from India there would be a more permanent arrangement, but David (who has offered to pay the airfare) and GF are really good to and for each other and she's adorable, so we can't be too upset. She loves Christmas more than anyone I know and makes it really fun.

Christmas Eve is a pesto-based vegetarian lasagna, salad, and mini pecan pies (from the freezer). Christmas breakfast is a cinnamon-sugar pull apart bread and some kind of eggs and meat, but I'm not sure what. If I get my act together in the next few days, I'll smoke some jalapeno sausages and serve them with biscuits, pimento cheese with jalapenos and soft cooked eggs. Sort of a Southern path to Heaven....you really have to try the combination to appreciate it!

Midday, we have veggies and dip, a variation on cheese straws that includes rice krispies for crunch, and a pesto and puff pastry appetizer that YS can't celebrate Christmas without.

Dinner is a pepper-crusted beef tenderloin roast with two sauces, scalloped potatoes, tossed salad, some other veggie (to be decided), and creme brulee.

On the 26th, I may become a temporary vegan to lose a few pounds...just sayin!!!
  Re: Re: Christmas Eve & Day Dinner???? 2015 by karyn (I am actually really...)
Karyn, your menus sound fabulous! Wish I could get fancy with our meal plans, but it just doesn't go over well with the older folks. So, we pretty much have to do the same things that they are used to.

Forgot to mention that we also have a 5 gallon pail of fruit salad made. That's another long standing tradition along with all the Christmas cookies that we made. My father-in-law also makes fudge for the holidays.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."