Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm doing a dish from Issue #115 - been awhile since I've done a recipe from the magazine. Sea Bass (I'm using Cod I have in the freezer) in Tomato-Pepper Sauce with Kalamatas and the side reicpe of Feta Cheese Garlic Bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Our favorite bbq place is offering smoked brisket tamales and pulled pork tamales. I ordered 3 of each and am picking those up this morning.

Could make a side of pinto beans or some Spanish rice on the side. Still trying to perfect the rice. Have pretty much missed the mark I'm trying to hit every time. Thinking that maybe a medium grain rice would work better than long?
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by Trixxee (Our favorite bbq pla...)
I've actually already changed my mind - LOL. Today it will be Daphne's Best Ever Clam Chowder. I will save the tamales for tomorrow as we will be getting in a little late from the dentist and I can easily throw that dinner together.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by Trixxee (Our favorite bbq pla...)
I use long-grained, but I also don't cook it on top of the stove. I've always baked it at 350° for 18 minutes for what I feel is the best way to cook any rice (except brown, which does take longer).
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by cjs (I use long-grained, ...)
Road food. We're going to leave a day early. There's a big storm that's suppose to hit our passes tonight into tomorrow morning. So gonna drive 6 hours today and get thru it and camp. So had some smoked pork in the freezer and harvested my last 2 fennel bulbs and that's gonna be dinner
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by cjs (I use long-grained, ...)
Jean, do you start that with cold or hot water? Cover or not? I've never tried this method.

I always use either jasmine or basmati rice, rinsing it a few times. Then add fresh water, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes on high, followed by 15 min. at 50% power. Be sure to stir it to fluff it up when you take it out.

ETA: Safe travels, Denise.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by Mare749 (Jean, do you start t...)
I sauté the dry rice in a little butter (if doing plain rice I do add minced onions), then add hot stock/broth/water, s&p. Bring up to a boil, cover and bake for 18 min. Always works for me.

This is what I did at the hotel - making braziers of rice to feed 100-150 folks. worked with those amounts also.

For brown rice, I bake for 50-60 minutes.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by cjs (I sauté the dry rice...)
Thanks, I'm going to try this!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by Mare749 (Thanks, I'm going to...)
Thanks as well Jean. I will replace some of the liquid with El Tapo tomato sauce of course to make it Spanish/Mexican/what have you.

I think my new aqua Le Creuset pot will work great for the sautéing of the rice and then the tight cover.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 12/22/15?? by Trixxee (Thanks as well Jean....)
Safe travels, Denise!

Yesterday, I woke up with a sore throat. Today, I've got a full blown cold! Not helpful. At least Ashley is here to carry out part of today's plans of making and freezing the potatoes for Friday. She is even running my errands and offered to make me chicken noodle soup for dinner.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.