Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: (...)
Think we need a thread for this...

Just read this in the description - what the h--- does this mean? I don't have a smart phone and don't plan to get one.

"The Anova Precision Cooker is the perfect device for the home chef. It's easy-to-use, lightweight, and connects to your smartphone, allowing you to cook the perfect meal with the touch of a button."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Think we need a thre...)
Hmmmmm???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Think we need a thre...)
You don't need a smart phone to use it. If you do have one, it just lets you control the cooker remotely. It is great. I have a Sansaire and then got the Anova. The latter is smaller, quieter and super easy to use. We had sous vide top sirloin steaks for Christmas dinner that were as tender at medium rare as NY strips or fillets but with more beefy flavor. It is a great tool to cook, set it and forget it and not overcook food.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Roxanne 21 (Hmmmmm??? [img]/ubb...)
It has Bluetooth and a smartphone app, so you can program some cooking tasks from recipes stored in the app. In other words, you would get everything physically set up, then have the app set the time and temperature for you and have it start the cooking, plus you're able to check the temperature or remaining time while doing something else away from the kitchen.

Frankly, given the way sous vide works, I think this would be of minimal usefulness. It would be more important for barbecue than sous vide.

One part of it that could be handy, though, is the collection of time/temperature guides from Serious Eats in the app. That would be nice for letting the app have the Anova jump straight to the appropriate settings. Again, after that, I don't think the monitoring would matter much.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by labradors (It has Bluetooth and...)
Labs, I think you make a good point. More important to temperature monitor BBQ.

I was just telling my brother this morning how useful the igrill temperature probe is. Ron has been using it with good success for quite a while so we do recommend it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Mare749 (Labs, I think you ma...)
While it may be a while before I would purchase the sous vide, Maryann sent me off to check out the temperature probe. That's something we would use several times a week! Birthday or Father's Day gift for William is done! Thanks, Maryann!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Gourmet_Mom (While it may be a wh...)
I think I have what you all are talking about re the temperature thing, but which one are you specifying?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (I think I have what ...)
Jean, I think this is the one she is talking about. It iwould be most helpful if Maryann could confirm. Although, the one nice thing about this is the app. Although, it may be that you could get the same app on your iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8SY...text&sr=8-1
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I think this i...)
This is a sous vide cooking method. My friend has one and we did new york steaks and they were wonderful!!
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Mare749 (Labs, I think you ma...)
My point was that regardless of the bluetooth app. the Anova is a really great product.