Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by cjs (Have fun!!...)
Looking forward to hearing more about it, Sharon. What is the first thing you are going to cook?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (Took the plunge and ...)
Sharon,

You're going to love this toy!! And Anova has a bunch of recipes on their site as well.

I would have to think that if you're in the catering/cooking world how sous vide would make your life easier to get the job done with the same results over and over.

Hope you have a wonderful time and I suggest doing a filet or a double cut pork chop for your first try.

And karyn posted this site :

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first...al-recipes.html

I also signed up with ChefSteps.com at half price and get regular emails about sous vide and other cooking methods recipes.

You're going to love this!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]You'r...)
Barbara I am in LOVE! Our first recipe was from the Anova site; a chicken caprese salad - it was incredible! I mean it was freaking awesome! I spent a whole lot of time browsing their recipes . . . talk about fun in the days to come!

This is going to make my life so much easier! I have to say that it was kind of fun to sit in my chair and watch the progress on my phone! Just the "techy" in me. Lordy!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]You'r...)
I am having so much fun Barbara! We've done so many things in it so far: chicken, pork chops, fish, potatoes and CORN! Corn on the cob is to die for and Anova's site has a recipe for a Mexican creamed corn that blew our mind.

Corn is in high season now and I'm wondering if I could bag and seal the corn (and butter & salt) with the Foodsaver and cook in the Anova and then freeze? We get the most wonderful organic corn and it's $4 a dozen right now. I'd love to put some in the freezer . . . ???
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (I am having so much ...)
Sharon,

Is it really worth the 3 hours to do the corn? I boil water, then shut off the flame and let the corn sit in the water for 5-10 minutes.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by BarbaraS (Sharon,[br][br]Is it...)
Barbara it's 35 minutes to do the corn. Bob made a lid for our Cambro that fits around the Anova - really cuts the time to heat the water and for long cooks it cuts evaporation.

Is it worth it? YES! Butter, salt and corn in the bag - there is no water to leach anything out of the corn. It has snap, it's sweeter than ever, and already buttered. I might flip it on the grill depending on what I'm doing - but Bob is adamant that this is how we cook corn on the cob.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Harborwitch (Barbara it's 35 minu...)
It's not likely that I would be getting one of these any time soon, so I am wondering if I could cook the corn in the same way if I put them in individual Foodsaver bags with butter and salt, then simmer in a pot of water on the stove?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Mare749 (It's not likely that...)
I'll stay away from this one - can't imagine ever doing corn this way. Sorry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by cjs (I'll stay away from ...)
FWIW, yes you can freeze it for later use assuming you started with fresh. It is one of those things, that if you have your cambro filled with water, you might as well add as many things that can cook at the same temp and use them later.

You can also do corn in the Instant Pot and freeze it. Because I am very lazy, I do it in the husk in the microwave. Less time, no cleanup.
  Re: Re: Anova Sous Vide by Cubangirl (FWIW, yes you can fr...)
I'm so in the grill camp - I just can't do it any other way. Either eat it straight from the grill, or cut off and freeze. I always have frozen fresh grilled corn in the freezer all year around.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com