Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Oh, good luck with C...)
Yes, it's our dog, my baby. At least we know it's not heart worms! It's some crazy condition called laryngeal paralysis that keeps the cartilage around the windpipe from opening and closing properly. If it gets bad enough, we may have to do surgery. For now she's okay, and they gave her antibiotic, just in case it could be an infection....which is another possibility. For now, I am truly relieved that it isn't something fatal.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures with your new toy, Jean!

And Labs, what else are you planning with yours?!?!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, it's our dog, m...)
Anova (Sous Vide) - Tried out my new toy for the first time yesterday and what a fun new method of cooking!!

My only problem and I’ll have to go back thru the instrucitons I guess, is I didn’t convert from celius to Fareinheiht. (sp?)
In baggie, was halibut sprinkled with sea salt, capers, lemon slices and EVO. Great flavor imparted into the fish.
A monster has been created, I think.

A Gewürztraminer was wonderful with the fish and the zucc.

[Image: Jan%208%201st%20Sous%20Vide%20Halibut_zpsuhis2p5m.jpg]

[Image: Jan%208%201st%20Sous%20Vide%20working_zps6h4c1vcz.jpg]

[Image: Jan%208%201st%20Sous%20Vide%20Halibut%20...9fkfle.jpg]

I do need to get some 'baggies' (haven't found/unpacked my FoodSaver & those bags yet!) for longer submersion cooking. This took 20 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Anova (Sous Vide) - ...)
That's it! I'm going to get me one of those. This is just way too cool!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by BarbaraS (That's it! I'm goin...)
OH Barbara - it is really a great new method of cooking for us and with you still working, Wow!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (OH Barbara - it is r...)
So jealous! But I'll have me one before too long. I may ask for that for my birthday anyway.
Jean, which one did you get?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Gourmet_Mom (So jealous! But I'l...)
The same that Labs has (I think) -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKPB...ailpages00

It's expensive, but I had some $$$ built up in purchasing so I was able to get a lot knocked off.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (The same that Labs h...)
Thanks, Jean. I thought that was the one you both got. I just added it to my wish list.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (The same that Labs h...)
It is fun. Remember to cook ahead and refrigerate and freeze for another meal. For a couple of items, a SS 8qt. DO works great. To cook several items at once Cambro containers work really well. We got ours at Cash and Carry. Covering your container will help it come to temp faster and helps keep it at temp.
Here are a couple of old pictures using our first circulator (Sansaire). We use the Anova now.
[Image: 3-8-2014_zps6ee65ba7.jpg]

[Image: 8505070e-a67c-4986-973d-dc120fb23797_zps07f6bdb7.jpg]
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Cubangirl (It is fun. Remember ...)
Yes, Jean, that's the same model I have. Glad you like it. How was the texture of the fish?

BTW, take another look in the little instruction booklet. There is a way to switch it to Fahrenheit.

For those considering this, but who don't have a FoodSaver, don't worry:I don't, either. The ZipLoc bags work well and the method of removing the air from them by zipping them almost all the way, immersing them in water just up to the zipper (thus pushing out all the air), then finishing closing them is a LOT easier and less mysterious than it sounds.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by labradors (Yes, Jean, that's th...)
My problem, Labs, I just went off half-cocked before I realized it was reading Celsius. I fixed as soon as I was done.

and, I agree about closing the bag, this is the easiest way!

I don't think I'll use my Anova as Alina seems to use hers. I'm not looking for another method of 'storing' food, I'm just fascinated with the works of this. For example, I'll do steaks and such, but just as needed. After all I'm retired, but maybe down the road I'll 'edit' the use...who knows.

It is fun.
www.achefsjourney.com