Shrimp Saganaki
  Re: (...)
WINNER!! I’ve had this recipe from Food & Wine for over a year and what a waste of a year. Wonderful flavors. I had no idea what “Saganaki” was, but the flavors are certainly something to remember.

Saganaki
In Greek cuisine, saganaki is any one of a variety of dishes prepared in a small frying pan, the best-known being an appetizer of fried cheese. The dishes are named for the frying pan in which they are prepared, called a saganaki, which is a diminutive of sagani, a frying pan with two handles, which comes from the Turkish word sahan 'copper dish', itself borrowed from Arabic
I served the shrimp with our leftover Couscous and it was a wonderful combination!

Shrimp Saganaki - F&W 2/17/14

2 Tbs each of extra-virgin olive oil and canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
6 plum tomatoes (1 1/4 pounds), coarsely chopped
Salt
Crushed red pepper
1 1/2 lbs shelled and deveined large shrimp, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
3 oz Greek feta cheese, crumbled
Crusty bread, for serving

In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook until softened, crushing them with the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.

Add the shrimp and olives and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the dill and half of the feta and cook just until the feta is hot, about 1 minute. Transfer to shallow bowls, sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve with crusty bread.
[Image: Dec%2029%20Shrimp%20Saganaki_zpsm8wl7ela.jpg]

Dessert – I made this to serve at a mini-dinner party last night and we can’t stay out of it. And, is it ever good with red wine and Chocolates! I dare you to make this and stay out of it!!
CHEERIOS CRUNCH
[Image: Dec%2029%20Cheerios%20w%20choc%20red%20w...hk5kkc.jpg]
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 cup Cheerios or 3 c. Cheerios and 1 c. nuts

Melt butter in saucepan. Blend in brown sugar. Cook until thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in Cheerios. Cook and stir a few minutes over low heat until Cheerios are coated. Spread in thin layer on baking sheet. Crumble when cool.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Shrimp Saganaki by cjs (WINNER!! I’ve had t...)
Oh dear! I will NOT be trying those Cheerios! Danger! Danger!

That shrimp dish looks interesting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Shrimp Saganaki by Gourmet_Mom (Oh dear! I will NOT...)
Maryann, here is the thread that describes 'Saganaki'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Saganaki by cjs (Maryann, here is the...)
Yum! You know, I think I do have some feta and definately have olives...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."