First use of my new Christmas toy.
  Re: (...)
I used the Pressure Cooker function of the Instant Pot I got for Christmas for the first time today. INSTANT POT

I adapted an old favorite Hawaiian Style Braised Pork (from the red BA cookbook, also on Epi.), for the pressure cooker. I pressure cooked it for 22 minutes. It turned out great, super tender and tasty. The only change I'll make for next time is to reduce the amount of liquid since very little evaporates and just do 20 minutes.

I loved being able to sear the meat in the pot and then set it and forget it, and it took half the time as the original. Can't wait to try the other functions.

I am getting rid of my other pressure cookers except the 10 qt. Fagor and already gave my son my old slow cooker.
  Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Cubangirl (I used the Pressure ...)
Good Lord, this is quite a gadget!!
"7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker--Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer"

I like the idea you can sear in the same pot. Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by cjs (Good Lord, this is q...)
I think this would be great for folks that are afraid of pressure cookers. It does not make noise like stove top ones and you can see the countdown once it has reached pressure. When the time is up, it depressurizes and then goes into stay warm cycle.

My old slow cooker had a SS pan, so you could sear in it on the stove top. I'd never want one without that function.

I am going to try rice next. I make great rice in my 5 qt. Cuisinart DO, but this one makes brown rice in half the time. Steve is going to try steel cut oats.

The best part is that the cooking pot is SS. It comes out for washing or to store food in the fridge.
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Cubangirl (I think this would b...)
Oh, that does look like a great appliance. How fun! I would probably use that more than the sous vide appliance.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Mare749 (Oh, that does look l...)
I think I agree with you, Maryann......Roy is going to have a fit!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by cjs (I think I agree with...)
Think I'll put it on my amazon wish list. Then, if I still want it by my birthday the family will know what to get me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Mare749 (Think I'll put it on...)
I tried 1 cup brown basmati rice this morning. Used 1.25 cups of water (with a pinch of kosher salt) for 22 minutes with manual release after 10 minutes. I wasn't sure whether to follow the settings for basmati or those for brown rice so I winged it. I am super pleased; it came out perfect. I'll make 3 or 4 cups rice next time and freeze it in serving portions for quick reheat in microwave.

Next I am going to try my Cuban yellow rice with corn recipe, using the Sauté function and then the white rice setting. Will post when I do.

BTW, there are several models, I chose the 6 qt. but without the bluetooth, since I don't think I'd use it.

Sous vide and pressure cooking do very similar functions from opposite ends of the spectrum. Sous vide gives more control, but takes longer. I use both. What I don't do anymore are stove top or oven braises.

For my birthday in February I am hoping to replace my very old deep fryer. It sort of works, but looks awful despite my best efforts. I notice the temp does not go quite as high and it takes longer to get there and recover.
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Cubangirl (I tried 1 cup brown ...)
I must say I will always do oven braises - nothing make the house smell so good on a wintry day.

But, it's good to have all these options.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by cjs (I must say I will al...)
For me the smell reminds me I have a $1000.00 electric bill coming
  Re: Re: First use of my new Christmas toy. by Cubangirl (For me the smell rem...)
This is intriguing to me. I'm one of those reluctant pressure cooker buyers. So I have added this to my wish list, too. Thanks Alina!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.