Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16??
  Re: (...)
Isn't today the shortest day of the year??? AND, now we start towards summer?????????????

What's on the menu for everyone today??

Pizza here, but not sure what kind.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by cjs (Isn't today the shor...)
Well, I think I'm going to give this a try based on a friend's recommendation. I am usually not a fan of cooking skin-on chicken in a crockpot but it does get transferred to a baking sheet to crisp up. Fingers crossed.

Still have a ton of baby greens to use - it's a bottomless container it seems. Also a side of crash hot potatoes. Yummy!

http://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/2014...en-thighs/
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by Trixxee (Well, I think I'm go...)
We are having baked salmon with teriyaki glaze, steamed jasmine rice, and a fresh veggie that I have to pick up from the store.

Also making spinach gnocchi for the freezer today. Very easy to make as you drop them by the teaspoonful on a lightly floured baking sheet and pop into the freezer until frozen. You can either put them into a foodsaver bag or plastic soup containers, then take out a few at a time to drop into soup and they cook in 2-3 minutes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by Mare749 (We are having baked ...)
another one of those days everything is sounding good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by cjs (another one of those...)
Hamburgers and tater tots or old school tacos. Dunno.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by losblanos1 (Hamburgers and tater...)
I didn't have a clue, but Blane gave me an idea. I may pull some chili out of the freezer and turn it into taco salad, or possibly make burgers and fries. Thanks for the idea, Blane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I didn't have a clue...)
I'm going simple, simple pizza today - have some bells to use up. I think I'll just do a pepper pizza, may throw on a poblano, too.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by cjs (I'm going simple, si...)
Great minds think alike!! Pizza here, too!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by BarbaraS (Great minds think al...)
When they hauled my old stove away, I forgot to remove my pizza stone from the oven. Doh!

You're welcome Daphne. I get many of my dinner ideas from all of you.

I asked the Boss; Burgers or Tacos? It's Tacos, but I'm going to have to make my own seasoning. Does anyone have a tried and true taco seasoning recipe?
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner, 1/21/16?? by losblanos1 (When they hauled my ...)
yes - From a little cookbook, "Black Beans & Corn" - page 213

Southwest Seasoning

Anytime a recipe calls for ‘Taco seasoning,’ this substitute works great, plus it’s healthier ~ you know exactly what is in it!

2 T. chili powder
2 T. paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 T. salt
1 T. dried oregano
2 tsps. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Combine all the seasoning ingredients and store in an air tight jar. Use the seasoning mixture on chicken, pork or salmon. Store in a plastic baggie in refrigerator or freezer.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

CJ’s tip: try the seasoning on a baked potato, or sprinkle over freshly cooked pasta tossed with olive oil and lemon juice.

-----------

Change of plans for pizza today - As I was rolling out my dough Federal Express arrived with January's delivery of our Cheese of the Month - and lo and behold a pkg. of Manchego!!!!

Back to the drawing board and this was our pizza. I've written it up because I'm really tired of notes on scraps of paper what I use on pizza and never being able to recreate, so here goes Pizza book #2 finally -

Cajun Shrimp Pizza
[Image: Jan%2021%20Cajun%20Shrimp%20Pizza_zpspmh1kijp.jpg]

This pizza can be done in stages, so don’t let it intimidate you. I like to make a batch of Oven-Roasted Garlic Shrimp and hold back 4 to 8 shrimp for a pizza. You can enjoy the remaining shrimp as an appetizer – just have picks handy. Or, having saved all the ‘goop’ from the baking sheet pan, mix it with freshly cooked pasta and top with a little shredded cheese and the shrimp. Scrumptious!

8 to 10 oz. Pizza dough
--------
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 T. Cajun or Creole seasoning (I love Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning)
1/4 cup green bell pepper cut in strips 1/8”X1 1/2"
1/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 large green onion, thinly sliced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 oz. shredded Manchego cheese
4 to 6 cooked shrimp (for goodness, see Oven-Roasted Garlic Shrimp in the Pantry Section), cut in half
Freshly ground black pepper

About 1 hour before making your pizza, roll pizza dough out and set aside. Combine pizza sauce and the Cajun or Creole seasoning together and set aside.

Sauté the bell pepper, celery over low heat for 5 minutes; add the green onion and red pepper flakes. Combine and remove from heat. Set aside until ready to use

With a spoon ‘schmear’ the sauce over the pizza round; followed by the shredded cheese, then the pepper & celery mixture.

Lay the shrimp on top cut side down; drizzle a little olive oil over and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.

Bake at 475°F. for 8 to 10 minutes until crust is crispy and browning.
www.achefsjourney.com