Family Recipes?
  Re: (...)
Can you tell my husband's out of town and I'm bored silly - don't know many in my new hometown...

I'm just wondering what dishes you remember as a child that you still make for your own children and families? Because Easter is coming up - the ones that pop right into my mind are what the Easter dinner normally was -

Baked ham with a glaze of 1/2 maple syrup and 1/2 o.j.
Mac & Cheese
Overcooked Green Beans (sounds terrible, but if you were raised on them - even tho you might have gone to culinary school - you love them!!)
Pink Salad - a puffy gelatin concoction with Strawberry Jello, cream cheese, miricle whip, whipped cream, marshmallows, pecans.

I guess we weren't real big on traditional desserts - can't remember a particular one for this holiday.

What did you all do for holidays or just everyday family dinners?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Family Recipes? by cjs (Can you tell my husb...)
lol...I know those green beans! My grandmother cooks them with bacon ALL day! I hated them when I was a kid...now I love them!

There are some family favorites that I make for my kids. Unfortunately they aren't all as appreciative of them as I am. My step-daughter actually gagged on my creamed asparagus! Ok...so it's not pretty..it still tastes good.

Biscuits and gravy...BACON gravy, everybody else in the world seems to love sausage gravy...blech!

Chicken and dumplings

This weird curry chicken and broccoli goo stuff that sounds gross but is really good.

Oh, my mom's bread stuffing...yum!

I'm sure there are lots more but that's what's coming to mind now. My mom made some meals that I LOVED when I was a kid but they were from recipes that are long lost now.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Family Recipes? by TwilightKitten (lol...I know those g...)
Eggplant parmesan! Took the entire day to make and still does. Homemade ravioli, my grandmother used to cut them with a glass.
Cis
  Re: Re: Family Recipes? by farnfam (Eggplant parmesan! T...)
TURKEY!!!!! AGAIN!!!!! any excuse for the good ol'turkey and fixins. Dessert---apple or pumpkin pie---OHHHH and we loved those soggy green beans---I've tried to make them on numerous occasions and have not failed yet to make the perfect dish!!! TEE-HEE!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I answered this Jean, but it didn't go thru. Said old format or something. ?????
Okay, being from the south, some of my favorite foods from childhood:
A big ole pot of pinto beans cooked with a ham bone and cast iron skillet baked cornbread! A fresh green onion and vine ripe tomato on the side! Spinach/collard greens slow cooked and topped with hot pepper sauce! Fried potatoes!..YUM If I were on death row....THAT would be my last request meal!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Family Recipes? by vannin (I answered this Jean...)
Can you give it another try Vannin?? would love to hear what ya'all eat/ate down there!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Easter was always ham when I was a kid. I do remember a few years when we had beautiful little lamb chops for breakfast with our eggs and Dad's rocks (fried potatoe cubes).

Our pot luck Easter brunches here have always been amazing. People bring fantastic food. Looks like this year's going to be rained out. Now I'll have to fix a regular dinner.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Family Recipes? by Harborwitch (Easter was always ha...)
Easter has always been my least favorite holiday. Why? The food is just so-so. I don't care a whole lot for ham...I'll take turkey for every holiday, thank you! With the ham we have mostly cold sides like potato salad and cole slaw. It's not awful, but not my favorite either. I like my food hot!

Maybe someday we'll switch to something other than ham...IF my children let me...they are huge on tradition. One year I decided not to have the Easter egg hunt, thinking my children were too old...well, that just did not go over well with my youngest. How long do you think he's going to hold me to that one????
Tammy
  Re: Re: Family Recipes? by TwilightKitten (Easter has always be...)
"How long do you think he's going to hold me to that one????" - forever!!

I rebeled one Christmas about 30 years ago and didn't cook a traditional dinner - I still hear about it, so you have a lot of years to go.

This Easter tho, the kids are all in California and we're in Washington, so...I get to play. A dear friend from Portland is coming up to spend the weekend with us and there's nothing he likes better than to cook Asian with me. So, I'm making us an Asian Food Day - brunch to dinner!

I'll make a ham later - I still haven't cooked the corned beef that I bot for St. Patty's day....
www.achefsjourney.com