I Need Bread Help
  Re: (...)
Okay, I put off the Meatball Subs until tomorrow so I could get some good rolls. I thought William would be able to get what I wanted from Southport tomorrow, but that's looking really iffy right now. I could get what I want from the city, but driving 35-45 miles to get what I want is just silly to me.

I've needed a push to get back into bread making, so I figure this is it. What I'm looking for is a sub roll that kind of shatters a little bit when you bite into it but is tender to the bite. Does that make sense?

But I will take any sub roll recipe that is a tried and true that would hold up against any great meatball sub at a great Italian Restaurant.

Maryann?

Oh, and I did buy The Bread Baker's Apprentice and Bread Revolution. So if my solution is in one of those books, let me know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: I Need Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I put off the ...)
Daphne, I can't say that I have perfected a sub roll yet. It continues to be a work in progress and something that I am determined to conquer.

I do know how to get the crispy crust, however. Put a sheet pan on the bottom shelf of your oven and have some water boiling in a kettle on the stove ready to use. Heat up your pizza stone as hot as you can take it without cracking it. I take mine to 500, but 450 will work just as well. When your oven is good and hot, slide your bread onto the stone and before closing the oven door, poor about a cup of water into the pan on the bottom shelf. Then close the door and repeat in 5 min. After another 5 min. you can lower the oven temp to 450 to finish baking for approx. 20 min. or until nice and golden brown. Temp should be 190 to 200 for lean doughs. 180-185 is usually good for enriched dough.

Jean just told me recently that she used vital wheat gluten with great success. I'm looking forward to hearing more about that.

If you have the Bread Baker's Apprentice, you certainly can't go wrong with any of those recipes. My two favorite recipes in the book are for Ciabatta and Pain a l'Ancienne, which are the french baguettes. That is the recipe that I use for sub rolls. Hope this helps. Have fun and remember that there is no such thing as bad bread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by Mare749 (Daphne, I can't say ...)
If you can find a place that has Amoroso's rolls, get those. They are the ones used in the best cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, and they ARE available in other areas. In fact, my local Gordon Food Service store has them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by labradors (If you can find a pl...)
OMG Labs! When I was a kid we (Father, and a brother or sister or two) would drive to Amoroso's bakery on a Sunday night in West Philly and get a gross of rolls fresh out of the ovens. The smell was intoxicating and we would eat at least two on the way home!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by BarbaraS (OMG Labs! When I wa...)
Thanks for the tip, Labs. I just checked their website, and they don't seem to be available within a 100 mile radius from here. Bummer. But I will keep a lookout.

Maryann, thanks for the tips, but after reading your post I realized one reason I haven't thought to get back into baking bread. My oven died a while back and the only oven is a little gas oven that came out of an old travel trailer from the 50's. And lighting the thing is iffy, so I have to wait for William to be home to light it.

So I guess I'm going to have to wait and see what William finds in Southport. My bread baking is going to have to be on hold a while longer.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the tip, ...)
bummer
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by cjs (bummer...)
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I just called the restaurant that we love for their subs, because they have that perfect roll I love. They are willing to sell me their bread!!! YAY! The reason I've been craving a meatball sub is because I've missed getting one there since I'm no longer going into Southport with William.

So excited!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (PROBLEM SOLVED!!![br...)
Daphne, that's fantastic! I've never heard of a restaurant willing to do that so you are one lucky lady!

One last thought...you can bake bread on your pizza stone or a cast iron skillet on your gas grill.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by Mare749 (Daphne, that's fanta...)
Oh, I did that a couple summers ago and I loved it done on the grill in the summer!!

[Image: Bread%20on%20the%20Grill%20July%2014_zpszk55s8xh.jpg]

I tried both ways - a regular round loaf and one with a hole in the center to see if it would bake better - we loved the one with the hole in the center. More crust!!

I've been trying to decide if I want/need to keep my old bread machine and have decided to keep it. I made a loaf of sourdough in it yesterday - the whole cycle (baking it also) and I used some of it for garlic bread and it was just wonderful. Even warming the garlic bread in foil in the oven, the crust was still crispy.

[Image: Jan%2025%20Sour%20do%20machine%20bread_zpsxsjmrgci.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Need Bread Help by Gourmet_Mom (PROBLEM SOLVED!!![br...)
Quote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I just called the restaurant that we love for their subs, because they have that perfect roll I love. They are willing to sell me their bread!!! YAY! The reason I've been craving a meatball sub is because I've missed getting one there since I'm no longer going into Southport with William.

So excited!!!!!

We have a few places that will do that including a sandwich shop. I feel a little funny just ordering 2 rolls and not their sandwiches that I usually order a antipasto salad to go too. LOL.