Ideas for meyer lemons?
  Re: (...)
Giant Eagle's freebie of the week is a 16 oz. bag of meyer lemons. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to use them?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by Mare749 (Giant Eagle's freebi...)
Wasn't there a preserved Lemon recipe floating around a while back? Off to search.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by Gourmet_Mom (Wasn't there a prese...)
Hi Maryann!

A new friend, who actually owns a greenhouse/ nursery, grows Meyer lemon trees and last fall she gave me a huge one (lemon, not tree...). I made lemon curd from it, and gave her half as a gift along with some vanilla scones.
This is the recipe I used
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...urd-102744
The lemon weighed 5-1/2 ounces, so I made a third of the recipe. It was delicious, and would be perfect for chasing away those winter blahs!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by foodfiend (Hi Maryann! [img]/u...)
I think lemon anything could chase away winter blahs!
Thanks, Vicci!
Maryann

Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by Mare749 (I think lemon anythi...)
Lemon curd, yes!!

But also, I always zest and juice them and keep in the freezer. I'm still working on some that I picked at Chef Dave Nelson's 2 years ago. Time to go to Arizona again.

Don't forget this old favorite -
LEMON-LUSCIOUS ICE CREAM

Makes ~ 3 1/2 cups

4 lg. egg yolks
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
6 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
4 tsp. vodka, optional (uhhhhh, I used...)
1/2 tsp. Cobasan, optional (did not use)

Have ready near the range a strainer suspended over a medium bowl.

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, w/a wooden spoon, beat the yolks & 3/4 c. of the sugar till well blended. Stir in the lemon zest, juice, butter, & salt.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the mixture is thickened & resembles hollandaise sauce; it should thickly coat the wooden spoon but still be liquid enuf to pour.
The mixture willl change from translucent to opaque & begin to take on a yellow color on the back of the spoon. (196°) The mixture must not be allowed to boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly to keep the mixture from boiling.

When the mixture has thickened, pour it at once into the strainer.
Press w/the back of a spoon till only a coarse residue remains. Discard the residue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by cjs (Lemon curd, yes!![br...)
Mary Ann, did you make the preserved lemons? I just picked up my freebie this morning and was looking at the old threads. Could somebody explain exactly how to cut them, I was confused on the top to bottom but not all the way through. I thought you would slice them.

Help? I also thought about looking for a recipe to candy them.
  Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by iBcookin (Mary Ann, did you ma...)
No, I didn't preserve any, Linda, because I'm not sure that I would use them in the way they are intended to be used. Don't think I've ever had them. We were too busy over the weekend to do anything with them at all, so today I'm zesting, juicing, and freezing the whole bag for future use. I'm definately craving a lemon meringue pie.
Maryann

Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by Mare749 (No, I didn't preserv...)
Lemon pie sounds awfully tempting. But then I would be sitting here trying to justify eating the entire thing within a few days. Not sure the little ones would eat that! And I am working my way through banana cake with banana frosting that I had to use up bananas that were left from before I went away.

Such a sacrifice!
  Re: Re: Ideas for meyer lemons? by iBcookin (Lemon pie sounds awf...)
Man up, MS
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com