Menu #4?????
  Re: (...)
While we wait with bated breath for Tammy's critique of #3 - who's going to put up a menu for nbr. 4 - I'm anxious to anticipate.... maybe all us newbies with get our act together and do this one. How fun! Sharon, BillyJ, Lorraine, Vannin?????? There were a couple others also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Menu #4????? by cjs (While we wait with b...)
Someone mentioned one last lasagne before the summer months kick in. I'm up for anything C@H. Really getting alot more use out of my subscription like this, and lovin' it
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by farnfam (Someone mentioned on...)
I agree with Cynthia....I do get more out of my CAH magazine by participating in our online dinner menus! I'm trying things that I didn't give much thought to before!
Happy cooking! By the way, I'm for anything! I've already chosen once....let's pass the buck!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by Bizymomma (I agree with Cynthia...)
Any choice will be great--they have been interesting and fun to do--what a great idea ---thank you to whomever was the initiator. To repeat--I have also made things that I would ordinarily pass by and have been pleased with the outcomes/process. BRING MORE ON!!!

We are not big pasta fans BUT would love to try the lasagna recipe someone mentioned---whadayathink?

Game for anything anybody is interested in. Can't wait the the decision---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by Bizymomma (I agree with Cynthia...)
I'm cool with the lasagna too! Which one? and I need someone to reconfirm the critique date...LOL, since I goofed last time!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Menu #4????? by cjs (While we wait with b...)
Alas Jean, We do not get c@h down here at the bottom of the world. So the menus will remain a mystery. I think it is a really good idea to publish dinner parties. I have several scrap books from the Australian Womens Weekly of dinner parties. From the 70s. Some of them are as fresh as tomorrow. Interesting reading, always. They published very good cooking pages then.

On Sept.17th 1980, they assured us that Fondue has swept back into popularity. And give a five star menu, being cheese fondue to start, and main fondue to follow. The desert was blackberry icecream. How the world turns. I believe fondue has made a comeback yet again.

In May 78 we are encouraged to keep out winter chills with seafood soup and mustard bread, duck casserole, crunchy potatoes and brussel sprouts, with lemon souffle crepes. I still use their Xmas cake and xmas pudding recipes from 75. So I guess magszine rule, long after their apparent use by date.
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by vannin (Alas Jean, We do not...)
No they won't Ellen!! Whatever we decide, if I have the magazines they are in, I'll post whatever we're doing -if I don't have the mag. we know someone will be kind enuf to post it for us both!! So, get ready to cook up some Lasagne, even if it is summer down there!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by cjs (No they won't Ellen!...)
We talking about doing the 8 Layer Lasagna or the Chicken Alfredo Lasagna from Issue 43, right? Fortunately, I think both of those recipes are already posted on here somewhere. I'll try to find them and post them here for all who want to participate.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by cjs (No they won't Ellen!...)
hahahaha Jean, you are a treasure. Lasanga (sp) anytime dear lady. We are just moving toward winter now, so it is entirely appropriate.

And you too kitten. thanks.
  Re: Re: Menu #4????? by vannin (hahahaha Jean, you a...)
8 layer lasagna

Both the meat and béchamel sauces can be made the day before assembly and chilled. The assembled lasagna may also be frozen--thaw before baking.
Makes one 9x13x3" pan; total time: 2 1/2 hours.

For the Meat Sauce--
Brown:
1 1/2 lb ground chuck
1 1/2 lb ground mild Italian Sausage

Add:
2 cups yellow onions, diced
2 T garlic, minced
2 T tomato paste
2 t each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf

Stir in Simmer:
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes in puree
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup beef broth or water
2 T balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Béchamel---
Sauté in 1/4 cup unsalted butter:
1 cup yellow onions, diced
1/8 t cayenne
Pinch nutmeg

Stir In:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Gradually add:
3 cups whole milk
10 oz. boursin cheese (Alouette is a 2nd choice listed)
Salt to taste

Whisk in:
8 oz frozen chopped spinach
1 egg, beaten

To Assemble---
Prepare:
1 lb oven ready sheets, parboiled (see note)
1 lb fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
6 oz parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the center.

Brown the meats in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; spoon off as much fat as possible.

Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, and seasoning. Sauté until onion softens, about 8 minutes.

Stir in both types of tomatoes, broth, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes; set aside.

Sauté onion for the béchamel in melted butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cayenne, and nutmeg; cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Stir in flour to coat; cook 2 minutes.

Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add Boursin in small pieces and whisk until smooth; season with salt. Set aside 1 cup béchamel for the top of the lasagna. Cool remaining sauce for 10 minutes.

Whisk in frozen spinach and egg.

Prepare lasagna sheets. Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is golden. Allow lasagna to rest 20-30 minutes before cutting and serving.

Note: Although pasta sheets are “oven-ready”, they tend to break during assembly. Boil sheets until pliable, 1 minute, then arrange in single layers on a foil-lined, sprayed baking sheet. Separate each layer with sprayed foil.

Lasagna Assembly:

Coat a 9x13x3” casserole with nonstick spray; spread 1/3 cup béchamel on the bottom (it will be a thin layer). Lay 3 pasta sheets across the bottom of the pan, then spread another 1/3 cup béchamel over them.

Spread 1 cup meat sauce on the béchamel (the meat sauce won’t completely cover the pasta; it’s fine if the sauces blend). Top with mozzarella, sprinkle with Parmesan, then lay three more pasta sheets across the bottom.

Keep layering in this manner until all the pasta is used. Spread the last pasta layer with the reserved béchamel, then sprinkle with Parmesan.

Bake lasagna, uncovered, until hot, bubbly, and browned. Let rest 20-30 minutes before cutting to set filings.