? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling...
  Re: (...)
I have a 4 pound pork loin roast in the freezer that I would like to use for dinner this weekend but I need to figure out how to prepare it so that it's not tough or dry (it's such a lean cut of meat). If I can work up my courage, I would like to invite some neighbors (we finally have the dining room set up!) but not unless I can locate a t&t recipe for the pork. I plan to make some sort of roasted brussel sprouts and also roasted butternut squash, maybe a rice pilaf, a salad???... but my first decision is how to prepare the meat. Or should I just go for chicken, instead?

I have to admit that I haven't entertained since a Christmas party in 2014, so I have a lot of tummy-butterflies about this. Peraps this why I'm being so indecisive!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by foodfiend (I have a 4 pound por...)
Pork is a tough cut to attack unless you are really confident. We love pork but I have not done a loin that size---sorry no help here. GOOD LUCK, Vicci.....I'm sure somebody will come along with some sage advice.

First time out??? I would do the chicken option---but that's me---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by Roxanne 21 (Pork is a tough cut ...)
No help either as I can't even get a pork chop to be tender enough for my liking.

Pork tenderloin on the other hand is always tender without fooling around with brining and whatnot.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by foodfiend (I have a 4 pound por...)
There's always the Peach Glazed Pork Loin Roast from Issue #69. I made that one time and it came out great. Hubby doesn't grill anymore so I know I did that in the oven, I just can't remember how I did it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by Trixxee (No help either as I ...)
First of all brine the roast for 6 to 8 hours, rinse well and roast your favorite way. We can all give you ideas for that if you need.

I promise you, this will give you the most tender moist roast you've ever made. Just be sure to rinse well with cold water before continuing with whatever recipe you decide to go with.

Simplest brine
Per 1 qt. of cold water - 1/4 cup kosher salt, 2 T. EACH: granulated sugar and brown sugar.

Whisk the h*ll out of the brine and 99% of lumps will be gone. This eliminates the old method of heating everything and then having to wait for cooling.

The easiest way to tell how much brine you need is to: put roast in the container you want to use. Add enough water to cover the roast; remove the roast and measure the amount of water and that is the amount of brine you need to make.

--------------
One idea for you -
Maple-Mustard-Glazed Pork Roast

2 pound boneless pork loin roast -- (2 to 3)
2/3 cup maple-flavored syrup
3 T. Dijon-style mustard
2 T. cider vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1 pound carrots -- pared and quartered lengthwise*
4 medium red potatoes -- scrubbed and halved (4 to 6)

*Other favorite vegetables can be substituted: Brussels sprouts, winter squash wedges, sweet potatoes

Stir together maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over pork roast and place in a shallow pan, surrounded by carrots and potatoes. Roast in a 350-degree oven until internal temperature of pork, measured with a meat thermometer reaches 150degrees F., and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Remove from oven; slice roast to serve with vegetables. Serves 6, with leftovers

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by cjs (First of all brine t...)
Vicci, the only time I remember making a pork loin that the family raved about was when I stuffed it with Italian sausage.

Jean, were you a part of the conversation on C2C when everybody was advising me on how to do this? That was back in my early days and I was constantly on there with questions. I owe all of you a lot for my education from those days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, the only time...)
Thanks, everyone!

Jean, I will use the technique that you posted and maybe even make the recipe. It looks good; I could cook the butternut squash with the pork then roast the sprouts separately with walnuts. A green salad. Any suggestions for a starch? Rice pilaf? Bread? Potatoes of some kind??? I still haven't invited anyone yet, though.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by foodfiend (Thanks, everyone! [b...)
Vicci, orzo or risotto is another starch option if you have a favorite recipe.

Just wanted to add my two cents here. Absolutely brine that pork loin. Now that I have gotten into the habit, we wouldn't do it any other way! It's so easy and mixes up in a few minutes. I usually mix it up then pour it into a ziploc bag with the pork or poultry and set it in a large bowl in the fridge. I am so glad Jean got me to do this because it makes such a difference.

As for your pork loin, if you are feeling adventurous, you could try doing it the way my husband cooks it. If you have a charcoal grill, get a nice hot fire going with hardwood charcoal, then cook the pork loin over indirect heat. It only takes about an hour. He likes to take it off right around 140° or even a little bit less. Then he tents it for about 30 minutes before slicing. We don't worry about serving it piping hot. It tastes better if it's just warm.

Some bloggers suggest taking it off the grill at 135, but Ron was turned off by the pink center and hasn't done it since. It's all a matter of taste. But, this will give you an amazing pork loin that is nice and juicy. He likes to add a handful of soaked wood chips right at the beginning to just give a light smoke.

Any kind of fruit glaze will be delicious. As for seasoning, we usually just sprinkle with some herbs before roasting. Done right, it doesn't need much.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by Mare749 (Vicci, orzo or risot...)
I've done this Giada recipe and it was delicious. These were my comments: Can sub apricots or raisins for the dried figs. Make the sauce in advance to cut down on preparation time, as it re-heats well. The broth can be left out, though it is great on potatoes. Cube and coat Yukon gold potatoes with olive oil, minced garlic and finely chopped rosemary and thyme leaves and roast them in the pan with the pork for a great side. Great with Roasted Fennel with Parmesan.

If you decide to do Orzo here's my all time fave:
TOASTED ORZO WITH BACON, ROSEMARY, AND PEAS****

5 stars -

Servings: 8
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

6 oz. bacon (about 6 strips),
1 medium onion,(about 1 cup)
kosher salt
2 cloves garlic,(about 2 tsps.)
1 lb. orzo
3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
1 sprig fresh rosemary
10 oz. frozen peas (about 1¾ cups)
2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
pinch ground nutmeg
Ground black pepper

Cut bacon into ¼" pieces. Chop onions finely. Mince or press garlic through garlic press.

Fry bacon in 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Add onion and ½ tsp. salt to fat in skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add orzo and cook, stirring frequently with heatproof rubber spatula, until most of orzo is lightly browned and golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Off heat, add vermouth, chicken broth, and rosemary. Return skillet to medium-high heat and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed and orzo is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. With rubber spatula, stir in peas, Parmesan, nutmeg, pepper to taste, and bacon. Let stand off heat until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes; discard rosemary, adjust seasoning with salt and serve.

Recipe Type: Bacon, Cook's Illustrated, Fresh Rosemary, Pasta, Peas, Side Dish

Author: Katiepie bb
Source: Cook's Illustrated Forum 5/2003
  Re: Re: ? about pork roast/ recipe/ and just rambling... by Cubangirl (I've done [url=http:...)
Everyone to Vicci's for dinner!!!!! What a dinner this will be. What's for dessert???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com