Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro
  Re: (...)
Our new Kitchen Manager shared this recipe with me . . . after I tried it and begged. So yummy that I just had to share with you all.

Braised Cauliflower with Chiles & Cilantro

1 lb cauliflower
2 dried chiles
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 TBS veg oil (I used coconut)
1 tsp black mustard seeds (subbed brown)
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic crushed (or more to taste!)
kosher salt and butter (coconut oil)to taste
2 TBS finely chopped cilantro

Cook cauliflower in salted water 1-2 minutes, drain, rinse with cold water.

Grind chiles and cumin seeds until coarsly broken, Heat oil in a large deep sided pan or wok. Add chiles, cumin, mustard, turmeric, and garlic. Cook gently, stirring for 1 minute - until seeds start to pop.

Add cualiflower and 1/3 cup water, bring to a boil and cover. Turn down heat and simmer 3-5 minuts, until almost cooked through.

Uncover, turn up heat and allow water to cook down, turning all the time. When water is gone add butter and stir to combine, Season with salt and garnish with cilantro.

This is so wonderful and warming. I think it'll be a great side for a grilled tandoori chicken or pork. I made it with Butter Chicken & rice. Overkill on the mess - but really good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by Harborwitch (Our new Kitchen Mana...)
Oh, that sounds really good (and I'm glad that you mentioned subbing brown for black mustard seed-- I can never seem to find the black). One of our neighbors was lamenting the absence of an Indian restaurant around here so I wanted to invite them for dinner in a week or two and I think I'll make an Indian menu including this cauliflower recipe. I might also try my hand at samosas as an appetizer. Thanks for posting this!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by foodfiend (Oh, that sounds real...)
Oh I love samosas!
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by Harborwitch (Oh I love samosas!...)
Dough filled with mashed potatoes and peas, what's not to love?!?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by foodfiend (Dough filled with ma...)
See?? Vicci's back in her groove!

This dish does sound good. Thanks for sharing, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by cjs (See?? Vicci's back i...)
Vicci and Sharon back on the boards makes for some interesting food! Sounds nice, Sharon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci and Sharon bac...)
Yes, it sure is nice having both of you back! Great sounding recipe, Sharon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by Mare749 (Yes, it sure is nice...)
It's nice to be back.
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by Harborwitch (It's nice to be back...)
I agree!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Braised Cauliflower w/Chiles & Cilantro by foodfiend (I agree! [img]/ubbt...)
Good to see you back too Vicci!