The results of my first dinner party in a while...
  Re: (...)
I was pretty stressed out about this. I did as much as I could in advance, but ran into difficulties other than with the food. We brought our dining set from the lake house here, and the only tablecloth I had that fit the table plus two leaves was a Christmas one. So I went out to several stores and found one that I *kind of* liked. I figured that, at $15, I could use it a couple of times until I found something I really liked. Also, dishes. My tangerine and yellow fiestaware was too casual and too... bright for the dining room. Fortunately I located a set that a friend gave to me (he was moving) several years ago that are a good match. Alas, no coffee/ tea mugs but I located some nice glass ones in Marshall's. For the life of me I couldn't figure out a centerpiece, but I dug in some boxes and put something together (candles, glass "stones") that worked.

Two hours before guests arrived I put the new tablecloth on (I had washed and dried it the day before) and there were 2 stains in the center! I sprayed with oxyclean, and washed again, but the stain only faded a little. So out came the lake house placemats that Jack brought here by mistake. Luckily the color coordinated with the dishes well enough.

Okay, then the logistics. The dining room is about 20' from the kitchen, so where to put the big salad bowl, the iced tea and water pitchers? There's a 4' server, and it would be crowded, but I didn't have anything to put down as protection against the metal bowl and "sweaty" pitchers.
I've always planned for this sort of thing in the past, right down to little tags in each bowl/ platter that told me what food goes in what serving piece. Yes, a tad obsessive... This time, after so long "away", I didn't and it was really disturbing (to my whacky sense of order).

The food went over really well, except the pork took about 50% longer to cook while the potatoes weren't cooked (too large chunks, and I must have tested one of the few smaller pieces). And the garlic bread, the half without the cheese, didn't have much flavor (I either didn't put in enough garlic, or didn't let it infuse for long enough).
But, hey, other than that...

No, really, it was very fun. And I (as always) really appreciate all of the help I received from this forum-- you guys are so great. Thank you!

Now, on Sunday a mutual friend of ours (ChefTabs, aka Theresa) and her husband are coming to dinner. This time I'll be a lot more relaxed!
  Re: The results of my first dinner party in a while... by foodfiend (I was pretty stresse...)
Theresa's coming??? How fun!

".... right down to little tags in each bowl/ platter that told me what food goes in what serving piece."

Doesn't everyone do this???? I do. You're not obsessive - you're organized (usually )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: The results of my first dinner party in a while... by foodfiend (I was pretty stresse...)
I used to try to be that organized . . . but it's been so long since I've had a dinner party I don't think I could do it again.

If the guests had a good time and you had a good time - that's all that matters.

Have fun with Theresa and her husband. Relax and enjoy it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Probably no one noticed the little things - just you!

Glad you had a lot of fun!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: The results of my first dinner party in a while... by BarbaraS (Probably no one noti...)
So glad everyone had a good time. I'm sure your friends all thought everything was just perfect.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The results of my first dinner party in a while... by Mare749 (So glad everyone had...)
Thanks for the review, Vicci. I agree, I'm sure your guests were impressed and didn't notice any of those little things. And now that you're back in the groove, I'm sure the next dinner party will go smoothly.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.