need ideas for green beans
  Re: (...)
For dinner tomorrow night, I planned on making the maple-mustard pork (Jean's recipe) with garlic cheddar mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts with toasted walnuts.

The brussel sprouts looked pretty sad at the 2 nearest grocery stores today, but the green beans looked good so I bought those.

Any ideas on how I can prep them? Or should I keep it simple, maybe steamed and sprinkled with the toasted walnuts?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: need ideas for green beans by foodfiend (For dinner tomorrow ...)
The green beans I did last week had me going back for 2nds AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE GREEN BEANS!!

I made these for Denise's Mystery Dinner last month and so good -
Oven Roasted Green Beans

Oven 400°

Toss green cleaned green beans with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet – lined with parchment paper for easy clean up. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until crisp tender, 12 to 15 minutes.

Niçoise sauce

2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. minced shallot
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove -- mashed
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 T. drained capers
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 hard-cooked egg, minced
1/4 cup Niçoise olives – pitted and rough chopped

In a blender, combine the lemon juice with the vinegar, shallot, mustard, garlic and lemon zest and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a thin stream and blend until emulsified. Add the capers and a pinch each of salt and pepper and pulse until the capers are coarsely chopped.

Add the roasted green beans to the serving platter and drizzle with the Niçoise sauce. Top with chopped Niçoise olives (or other Mediterranean olives) and pieces of hard-cooked egg.

MAKE AHEAD The lemon-caper vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 3 days in a screw-top jar.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: need ideas for green beans by cjs (The green beans I di...)
My wife made these a couple of weeks ago, they're really good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...s-51142200
  Re: need ideas for green beans by foodfiend (For dinner tomorrow ...)
My Mother used to make these when I was a kid - that was a long long long time ago. I still remember them and made them to rave reviews last summer.

PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH GREEN BEANS

3 strips bacon
1 sm. onion, sliced
2 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 can cut green beans
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 hard boiled egg, sliced (I like diced)

Fry bacon; crumble. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion and brown lightly. Stir in cornstarch, salt and mustard. Drain beans, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Stir liquid into skillet. Cook stirring until mixture boils. Blend in brown sugar and vinegar. Add green beans. Garnish with egg and bacon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: need ideas for green beans by Harborwitch (My Mother used to ma...)
I still love Erin's Cream of Green Bean Soup.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: need ideas for green beans by labradors (I still love Erin's ...)
Cream of green bean soup? That's being printed out...

Thanks everyone for coming to my assistance (again!). Taking into account the rest of the meal, I chose Jean's recipe because it has a little dijon in it (the sauce for the pork is a dijon sauce) and only requires a little shallot which I'm going to sub onion for since I don't have any on hand. Blane, your recipe looks wonderful (I marked it for next Thanksgiving!) but required a lot of shallot; and Sharon my Gram used to make this recipe and I forgot about it-- thanks for reminding me. It would be fun to make it for a family dinner, maybe at Easter, because I'm sure that other members of my family forgot about it, too. And, really, you put WAY too many "long"s in your post...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: need ideas for green beans by foodfiend (Cream of green bean ...)
Have a great dinner and evening, Vicci

just a p.s. and you probably already know this. I very seldom have shallots on hand, but rinsing minced onions under warm water seems to remove a lot of the harshness of onion and makes them more shallot-like, if you will.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: need ideas for green beans by cjs (Have a great dinner ...)
Enjoy your dinner party, Vicci! It all sounds great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.