Took the Plunge....Instant Pot
  Re: (...)
I did it! I rec'd mine a couple days ago but have only been able to read up on it and of course copy some of Alina's ideas and forum suggestions.

Haven't even taken the pot out of the box yet. In the earliest post I saw (searching 'Instant Pot' - Karyn made a Mushroom Risotto and I quickly checked my two recipe books for this thing, but it's not here, but I think after I make a rice a couple times, I'll just go for it. Sounds good.

Anyway, we'll see as we go along...and what gadgets I can now get rid of and find some more room.

I did get an angry call from #1 Daughter, "Will you please stop buying things so close to your birthday!!!! You do this every year - just as we make a list, you buy!!!!"

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by cjs (I did it! I rec'd mi...)
Tracie, I hear you! My mom is the same way! Shame on you, Jean! LOL!

But I can't wait to see what you get into! Mushroom risotto sounds like a good place to start, if you ask me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by Gourmet_Mom (Tracie, I hear you! ...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Aw Maaaaannnnnn....

Now you've got ME thinking about getting one. I would love to make a good risotto.

Susan, the sous vide cooking is the nuts! It really is. I just did a 3 lb Rib Roast (bone and all) and did it to perfection.

But this Instant Pot has got me thinking...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by BarbaraS (Aw Maaaaannnnnn....[...)
I'm blaming Alina for all this toy envy! She started it! LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by Gourmet_Mom (I'm blaming Alina fo...)
Oh, I know what you mean, Daphne. Just don't know if I can justify another kitchen gadget. But, I do have another birthday coming up...

Jean, have fun with your new toy and can't wait to hear what you cook with it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by Mare749 (Oh, I know what you ...)
Maryann, I recently discovered you can make your Amazon Wish List public. So since before Christmas, I have been adding every little thing I come across that I'd like to have...large or small...on my list. So my family has no excuse for not having gift ideas.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by BarbaraS (Aw Maaaaannnnnn....[...)
Way to go Jean. My 8 qt. is on its way, will probably be delivered while I'm in Boston 4/12-4/26.

Tuesday I made 4 cups raw white long grain rice, well rinsed with 4 cups water, on rice setting, natural pressure release. Came out as I like it. Then I made Cuban Beef and Potato Stew. After searing, manual, 20 minutes then NPR. One of my favorite Cuban dishes. It was over 3/4 full (so wished I had the 8 qt. so if took a while to come to pressure, but so good.

Yesterday I made Cuban Carne Asada which is an eye of the round roast (2 in one package from Costco) with Serrano ham in the center and a mix of yellow and red potatoes (used all the russets in the stew) After searing manual 60 minutes, NPR. Also over 3/4 full with 4 lbs. roasts and the potatoes. [Image: Cuban%20Carne%20Asada%20-30-2016_zpszhxb0d2u.jpg]

Half of each meal will be foodsavered and frozen. Half of the rice already frozen.

Have not had either yet since yesterday was our 22 anniversary and we dined out.

Do read the manual, follow the rice instructions in the recipe book and remember meats need NPR (natural pressure release).

The manual and recipe book are available online for download as pdfs. I just added them to my library via iTunes so now I have them on my iPad (added all by C@H cookbooks as well, so now I have them on my iPad as well.)

The forum is super helpful.
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by Cubangirl (Way to go Jean. My 8...)
Alina, I noticed some folks did not like the texture of the rice and I'm wondering if I ought to play with the ratio - 1:1 (rice/water) but your's was o.k.????

Hopefully I can start playing tomorrow or Saturday - I'm retired, why am I so darn busy!!!!!

"Aw Maaaaannnnnn...." C'mon Barbara, get with the program....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Took the Plunge....Instant Pot by cjs (Alina, I noticed som...)
I like my rice to be done, but not clump together or sticky. When I used more water for long grain white, it was too sticky for me. If you like clumped white rice then probably you'll want more. BTW, the rice button is only for long grain white and the measure if for use with rice (I use a regular Pyrex for both rice and water.)

I made perfect basmati using the 2 cups Basmati with 3 cups of water shown in the recipe book (page 9 or 10) manual high pressure for 4 minutes with 10 minutes NPR. Also perfect brown rice using the directions in the same page 2 cups rice, 2.5 cups water, manual high for 22 minutes with 10 NPR.

Just got notice my 8qt. will be here Saturday, woohooo!!!