T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16??
  Re: (...)
Good morning to April Fool's day...........Hope we all don't get 'caught' too many times today.

What's on the menu for everyone today??

Not a clue here yet. And, I'm just realizing I don't have that much 'grill-friendly' meat in the freezer!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by cjs (Good morning to Apri...)
This is one of those holidays when I'm VERY glad I'm no longer in the classroom! LOL!

Luckily, I chose something not grilled today. It's a day for the ducks! Tonight is the chicken Ramen Stirfry. I don't know why I bought that giant head of cabbage, but it's got to be used. I also see coleslaw in my future.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (This is one of those...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
I like this size!! Easier to read other posts. Thanks Susan.

Looks very good indeed! Great pictures.

I'm going with a simple ground beef fried rice and a salad - really foggy here, but suppose to clear up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by cjs (I like this size!! [...)
I'm starting off the first night of spring break easy - pizza delivery!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by Trixxee (I'm starting off the...)
That lookS great Susan.

I like your thinking Trixxee.

Today I'm grilling up chipotle chicken burgers
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by losblanos1 (That lookS great Sus...)
Susan, that looks great! Thanks for reviewing it. I'm going to have to give that a try soon.

And I hear you on the menu planning! I have stuck to my 18 day plan! I did skip a few days of cooking to have leftovers, but other than that, I've made everything on the list. Tomorrow I get to plan again. After this time of planning and the savings I've seen from sticking with it, I'm more motivated than ever. I can't believe I quit a few years ago.
Daphne
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Susan, that looks gr...)
What a surprise this dish was!! Nothing spectacular, just really good flavors and a weeknight gem!!!!
[Image: apr%201%20Grd.%20Beef%20Fried%20Rice%200...fwei6a.jpg]

Here's the recipe for anyone who would like it -
I only made 1/2 the amount, but I sure wish I had made the entire amount - would have been very tasty in a leftover burrito
Ground Beef Fried Rice*****

Marinated ground beef and curry powder add extra flavor to heating rice in this easy fried rice recipe.

1/2 lb lean ground beef
Marinade:
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
a few drops of Asian sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch
---------
Other:
3 Tbs peanut or vegetable oil, for stir-frying
2 - 3 slices fresh gingerroot
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
1 - 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
4 cups leftover cold cooked rice
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I used 1 egg for 1/2 the recipe, but I would use 2 eggs for the larger quantity)
2 scallions (green onions, spring onions), finely chopped

1. Place the ground beef in a bowl and add the marinade ingredients, adding the cornstarch last. Marinate the ground beef for 15 minutes. Prepare the other vegetables while the meat is marinating.

2. Add the oil to a wok preheated on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger slices, and str-fry for about 30 seconds. (This is to flavor the oil). Remove the ginger slices.

3. Add the ground beef to the wok and cook, using a spatula to break up the pieces, for 1 - 2 minutes, until it changes color.

4. Add the chopped onion. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes, until it starts to brown and soften. Turn the heat down to medium, add 1 tablespoon of curry powder and stir briefly until it becomes aromatic.

5. Add the rice, stirring and turning it over with a spatula to heat through and break up any clumps. Stir in more curry powder if desired (I added another 1/2 tablespoon).

6. Add the peas and the shredded carrot and combine thoroughly.

7. Make a small amount of room in a corner of the pan and add the beaten egg. Scramble the egg and then stir to mix in with the rice. Stir in the scallion. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot.

Yield: Serves 4 - 5
Author: Rhonda Parkinson, aboutfood.com
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by cjs (What a surprise this...)
That looks good, Jean, and sounds like something we would like.

Ron cooked some wings tonight and I made a salad. We finished packing and will try to catch a few zzz's before we have to get up at 3 a.m.

Have a great week everyone! We will be back in town late on the 13th.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 4/1/16?? by Mare749 (That looks good, Jea...)
Be safe and have a blast, Maryann!!!

Jean, I took a page from your book and added some goodies to the sauce/marinade tonight. I had about a tablespoon each in a jar of Oyster Sauce and Hoisin in the fridge, so I added both. YUM! Added it to my notes! Thanks for the idea!
Daphne