Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2, 2016
  Re: (...)
So, is everyone ready to start the new round of birthday dinners? There are several of us in May, so Jean asked if I wanted to start things off. I am excited and honored to do so. Reviews will be due on May 2, if that is okay with everyone.

If I were going to make a dessert, it would definitely be The Triple Chocolate Brownies, so if anyone would like for me to post that recipe, just let me know and I will add it to the menu.

Caprese Burgers with Basil Pesto

12 oz. ground round
12 oz. bulk mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup purchased or homemade basil pesto, divided
8 slices fresh mozzarella
4 slices rosemary flavored Italian baguette
1 Tbs. olive oil
8 thin slices tomato, seasoned with salt and black pepper
fresh basil leaves

Preheat grill to medium. Brush grill grate with oil.

Combine ground round, Italian sausage and ¼ cup pesto. Divide and shape into four oval patties.

Grill patties, covered, until an instant read thermometer inserted into centers of patties registers 160°, 6 minutes per side.

Top each burger with 2 slices of mozzarella and grill until melted, about 2 minutes more. Transfer burgers to a plate, tent with foil and let rest 3 minutes.

Brush baguette slices with oil and grill until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Spread remaining ¼ pesto on grilled baguette slices, then top with burgers and tomato slices. Garnish burgers with basil.

Servings: 4
Source: Cuisine at Home Magazine Issue #117
-----------------------------

Strawberry Salad with poppy seed vinaigrette

3 T. raspberry vinegar
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. poppy seeds
salt and black pepper to taste
3 cups baby spinach
3 cups baby arugula
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup half-moon sliced English cucumbers
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup sliced scallions

Whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, and poppy seeds for the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper.

Toss spinach, arugula, strawberries, cucumbers, goat cheese, and scallions with vinaigrette.

Servings: 4
Source: Cuisine at Home Magazine Issue #117
-------------------------------------
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2, 2016 by Mare749 (So, is everyone read...)
Good Choice!!! I'm in and this will be 'stickyied'

So how about a review date of Monday, May 2nd???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by cjs (Good Choice!!! I'm i...)
We were typing at the same time, Jean. I edited my post.
Maryann

Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by cjs (Good Choice!!! I'm i...)
The burgers sound really good! Tony added some italian sausage to his meatball mixture last week end they were excellent.

I might wind up subbing foccacia for the rosemary baguette as I've never seen a rosemary baguette (or is this where you use a regular baguette and flavor it with rosemary after purchase?). My issue hasn't arrived yet so I can't see the details yet.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by Trixxee (The burgers sound re...)
Trixxee, there are no instructions for adding rosemary to the baguette, so it must come from the store already seasoned. If I can't find any, I'll just add rosemary to the oil that gets brushed on the bread slices.

I'm in! Great choice Maryann.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by losblanos1 (Trixxee, there are n...)
Me, too.

So, review date good with everyone?

Also, I don't think we have to be so strict with things like types of bread, etc. there are times I sub when I know the flavor/texture will be fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by cjs (Me, too.[br][br]So, ...)
I'm in for sure! I already had planned to make this one.

And Maryann, I've been trying to flip by that brownie recipe quickly! It keeps calling me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (I'm in for sure! I ...)
This looks really great!!! I may have to participate in this. It's been a long time since I have done one of these
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by luvnit (This looks really gr...)
Then it is time!! It's good to see you back!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day dinner for May 2016 by cjs (Then it is time!! It...)
Yes, it is good to see you back, Laura!
Maryann