Bread & Butter Brine
  Re: (...)
Another one of the dang DUH moments!! We so enjoyed the pickled veggies and eggs the other day and I mentioned I was never throwing the brine from pickles away again.

for heaven's sakes, I have a wonderful B&B pickle recipe I've been using forever (page 203 of Journey...Home) and it just hit me - why not make up the brine (smaller qty) and use this for a batch of veggies and eggs.

I think I'll do up a batch today and give it a couple weeks. Maybe just do 3 or 4 pints.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bread & Butter Brine by cjs (Another one of the d...)
That's a great Idea Jean.

Issue #117 has a recipe for Bread & Butter pickles, I wonder how close it is to your recipe.
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by losblanos1 (That's a great Idea ...)
I saw that, but I haven't compared yet - I'll go do it.

So close - but I've never used brown sugar...hmmm, don't know that I would try that.

My mother and I have been making these particular pickles since 1950 ~ it has to be one of the very first recipes I ever made.

Bread & Butter Pickles
1 cup salt
6 qts. sliced cucumbers
12 large onions, halved and sliced
2 qts. cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 T. of each: white mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed

Sprinkle salt over the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl; let stand overnight. Boil the rest of the ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

Wash salt from the cucumbers & onions and put in hot syrup. Fill jars with the pickles and brine and seal according to canning procedures. Makes 6 qts.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by cjs (I saw that, but I ha...)
Jean, that's funny. That was exactly what I was thinking when I saw that in your book, which I have been "re-reading" lately.

Do the jars have to be sealed if you are making a small amount that will be used up quickly? I have never done canning and don't know the first thing about it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by Mare749 (Jean, that's funny. ...)
I'm not going to seal them. Eggs will last 3-4 weeks and I'll make sure we enjoy them by then.

I'm sure Denise is going to chastise us.....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by cjs (I'm not going to sea...)
I should say she will! She's become the canning queen!

You know, I may make a small batch for pickles and William some eggs and put them in the fridge.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by Gourmet_Mom (I should say she wil...)
"You know, I may make a small batch for pickles and William some eggs and put them in the fridge. "

That's what I'll do, too.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread & Butter Brine by cjs ("You know, I may mak...)
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those times I'll be glad I finally got a mandolin for Christmas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.