Grocery Store Chain?
  Re: (...)
Has anybody heard of the chain Aldi? If so, what do you know about it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Gourmet_Mom (Has anybody heard of...)
Don't think they are out here.
Ooops spoke too soon - there is an Aldis in Des Moines, WA

and evidently many, many other areas of the world.

Aldi Stores
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by cjs (Don't think they are...)
Jean, I spoke too soon. Ashley found out her permanent bank location yesterday. When trying to tell me where it was, she said they were building a new grocery store within walking distance of the bank. She thought it was an Aldi. Today, she noticed they had put up a sign that it was going to be a Publix. Isn't that one a lot of you speak highly of? Price comparison?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I spoke too so...)
Publix is popular in Florida. Labs could probably tell you more. My sister-in-law tends to go to Whole Foods because it's close to their home, but I think that Publix has better prices.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Mare749 (Publix is popular in...)
Thanks, Maryann. I think I've heard Barabara and or Trixxee talking about it, too.

To be honest, I was so excited the first few times I went in a Whole Foods. I eventually realized that their merchandise is WAY overpriced! It's the kind of place you go for specific items you can't get anywhere else. But it is still a pleasure to walk through from time to time.

Anyway, I'm still excited to have a new large grocery chain to visit. Is that sad I'd get excited about shopping at a new grocery store over a clothing or shoe store? LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Maryann. I ...)
ANYONE has better prices than Whole Foods!

Publix is a decent chain. Not always the best prices on everything, but usually reasonable. Interestingly, their price on a gallon of their milk is $3.29, while Walmart's price on Walmart's ("Great Value") milk is $3.66.

We have one Aldi here and it can be good, depending upon what you wish to buy. They are VERY "no frills," even to the point of not having a phone number.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by labradors (ANYONE has better pr...)
We have several up here, they are very no frills, kind of a crap shoot what you are going to find there. It would not be a store that you could do all your grocery shopping at. Lot of off brand products, they don't pack your groceries, you have to bring your own shopping bags or can use their old boxes if they have any. At one point you had to deposit a quarter to use the grocery carts. Don't know if they still do that. Here they just started taking credit cards, used to be cash only.

So all that being said, they are crazy cheap. You can't beat their produce for price, $.48 for cucumbers, $.99 for an 8 oz. package of mushrooms, avacados were $.49. And it is nice produce, probably moves pretty fast. But is it the basic stuff, you are not going to find anything exotic like you would find at a Wegmans.

Somebody told me recently that they were owned by Trader Joe's. The bargain basement step child, I guess. All of the stores here are about 25 minutes away from me, too far to justify a routine stop, but certainly when I happen to get to the "big city" I make a point to run through for stuff.
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by iBcookin (We have several up h...)
I love Publix. They are the Nordstroms of groceries . Their prices are good, as is the selection, but the service is outstanding. Unfortunately they are only is FL as far as I know.

Whole Paycheck has great food, but their selection is very limited imho, and the prices are steep. I would rather shop at Trader Joe's. My daughter however, shops there since it is within walking distance of her house. She goes to Costco every few weeks, and occasionally to Trader Joe's. She'll go to Wegman's when I'm around to get Pepsi or ice cream for me, but it requires driving and it takes longer to shop once there.

I went to Aldi's once in Fl, and did not care for it. They carry their own brands for the really good values and I am particular about what I buy. I won't shop at Walmart so can't speak to their groceries.
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Cubangirl (I love Publix. They ...)
There is one Aldi in Houston. It is not convienent for me, but their advertised specials beat Kroger and HEB. I've never been there.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Grocery Store Chain? by Old Bay (There is one Aldi in...)
It's funny you should mention Aldi's - 3 So. Cal. locations had their grand opening within the last week or so. None are near me though.

What I am waiting for to open is a chain called Grocery Outlet. I don't think it's going to be the type of place where you could get all your shopping done (no big deal, as it is I shop at at least 6 stores, including Target for groceries) but I get daily emails from them on specials they are having. They are building one around the corner.