What's The Latest?
  Re: (...)
....Gadget you've added to your kitchen? It's been several months since I've added anything, but that last two were a Panini Grill and a 14 cup Cuisinart Food Processor. The latest goodie was four 1/4 cup OXO measuring cups. They have measures for 2 ounces, 60 ml, 4 tablespoons and of course 1/4 cup. They are the handiest thing for mise en place. I had previously gotten one for Christmas and used it all the time, hence the extra 4.

I usually keep my eye out on Ebay and Amazon for good deals on gadgets, that's where I got the panini grill and the food processor.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: What's The Latest? by bjcotton (....Gadget you've ad...)
lol...great thread! My latest gadget is a mango pitter. At least, I think that's my latest...I LOVE gadgets!
Tammy
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by TwilightKitten (lol...great thread! ...)
Don't laugh, mine is a needle nose fish boner (for pulling salmon bones). The bones are hard to pull and the pliers are hard to find. My next favorites are my marrow spoons.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by Old Bay (Don't laugh, mine is...)
I've bought a few things lately.
*pizza peel
*2 cup mini food/processor/chopper thingy
*cookbook holder
*and a new coffee grinder...(for spices of course) LOL
Loving every moment of my life!!
"mango pitter" - darn, I saw the one Sharon (harborwitch) bot when we were at her house and I so want one. Do you like yours as much as she does hers??

Bill, I've never had the specific "needle nose fish boner " - have always wanted one, but just keep on using tweezers...

marrow spoons - another goodie on my wish list - would have been much easier New Year's with those, eh BillyJ?? We had Osso Buco and I tell you these were the best veal shanks I've ever gotten and the marrow????? Oh my!

So what else do you guys have that this old retired cook doesn't have...

I guess my two favorites, if they are classified as gadgets, are my salt boxes/pigs (keep three spread around the kitchen) and my scale.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Bill - Ooh, where did you find those? I could've used them the other night...those bones are a real pain in the you-know-what!

Jean - Oh, yes, I love the mango pitter and so do my boys!
Tammy
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by TwilightKitten (Bill - Ooh, where di...)
I'll ask my wife--she found them. Does anybody else have a green bean frencher?? Self abuse, but really do a good job--strings them too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by Old Bay (I'll ask my wife--sh...)
Wouldn't a regular pair of needlenose pliers work just as well Bill? I don't do fish, but it seems it would.

Jean, those mango pitters would have made it much easier when I made the Mango Chutney, but it sure was good Did I give you any?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by bjcotton (Wouldn't a regular p...)
By far the best thing I ever bought was the 14 Cup Cuisinart Food Prep Plus!! And the handy little chopper is next in usefulness. On my wish list: one of those litte flame throwers to do meringue etc. with (for now hubby uses blow torch). If you could recommend one, I too will go to Ebay and search for one.
This is FUN,
Cis
  Re: Re: What's The Latest? by farnfam (By far the best thin...)
I find artery forceps very useful. Or Needle holders. Harrisons forceps or cheatles are great to for the larger things. Just go to a medical wholesaler and ask for ward grade. They are good enough.